For Motorola dc3510, how to keep recordings when changing multiple expanders?

maldini
Grasshopper

For Motorola dc3510 box, how to keep recordings when swapping expanders? All my expanders have been formatted by the current motorola dc3510 box.

But every time I swap back to a previously formatted expander, by the same motorola dc3510 box, all the previous recordings recorded by the motorola dc3510 box could not be found. The digital box regarded them as new, and suggested a reformat.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Hi maldin2021 - unfortunately that will happen regardless...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

Hi maldin2021 - unfortunately that will happen regardless of which cable box you are using. Once an expander's hard drive has been formatted to a certain cable box it will need to be formatted once you move it to another cable box even if both cable boxes are the exact same model. About 18 months ago my Gateway died and once I tried setting up my old expander with the new Gateway box it needed to be reformatted. I wasn't very happy as there were still dozens of movies from Movie Central, The Movie Network and Crave that I still wanted to watch. Not to mention Game 7 from the 2011 Stanley Cup Final where my beloved Boston Bruins beat those no good dastardly Vancouver Canucks. 😀 

0 Kudos

"About 18 months ago my Gateway died..... Not to mention...

michaelstein
Grasshopper

"About 18 months ago my Gateway died..... Not to mention Game 7 from the 2011 Stanley Cup"

Oh, the irony!

0 Kudos

For some reason the " edit " option is not showing up. An...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

For some reason the " edit " option is not showing up. Anyway maldin2021 - I just noticed that you are actually trying to use the exact same cable box each time so that means you can ignore what I posted. I actually thought that what you were trying to do would work so hopefully somebody here that's a bit more tech-savvy can help you out. 

0 Kudos

You are right, I was just using the exact same motorola d...

maldini
Grasshopper

You are right, I was just using the exact same motorola dc3510 cable box for formatting all my expanders. But every time I swap back to a previously formatted expander, all the previous recordings could not be found. The digital box regarded them as new, and suggested a reformat.

0 Kudos

--  every time I swap back to a previously formatted expa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@maldini --  every time I swap back to a previously formatted expander, all the previous recordings could not be found

One "experiment" that you could try:

1. Power-off your cable box, by disconnecting its power-cord.
  2. Power-off & disconnect the Expander.
  3. Power-on your cable box.
  4. Check to see if you have any recordings. If so, delete them.
  5. Power-off your cable box.
  6. Reconnect the Expander, and power it on.
  7. Power-on your cable box.
  8. Check to see if you have any recordings, or does it request "formatting" ?

Result?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help