Formatting disk DCX3510-M

Nighthawk6
Grasshopper

My PVR shows I have several shows recorded but there is no content when I try to play them and the PVR does not provide any way to delete them.  I believe they will be gone if I format my disk.  How can I format my disk?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

-- there is no content when I try to play them Did you re...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Nighthawk6 -- there is no content when I try to play them

Did you record a program on a channel that you were not subscribed to, at the time that it recorded it? That would explain "no content".

> the PVR does not provide any way to delete them. 

If you can see the listing of recorded programs, you should be able to select it, and then delete it.

> I believe they will be gone if I format my disk. 

That is correct, because "formatting" completely erases the "table-of-contents", which lists all the recordings.

> How can I format my disk?

Good question. The answer depends on which PVR you have -- namely the DCX3510.

There is some "secret" key-sequence at "power-on" time that accesses the PVR's internal menu (not the Shaw menu). There might be an option on that menu to "format" the disk-drive.

The other method is more difficult: partially disassemble the PVR, and remove the disk-drive, and temporarily connect it to a "disk-drive-to-USB" adapter device, and connect it to your computer, as an "external disk-drive". Microsoft Windows can be used to "format" it. Note that its format is not compatible with the format that the PVR uses. So, when you reconnect the disk-drive back into the PVR, the PVR will insist on reformatting it, which is what you want.

While the disk-drive is out of the PVR, check the manufacture-date on the disk's label. You probably have a 4 to 8 year old disk-drive -- far beyond its 1 or 2 year warranty, and getting close to its expected lifetime. That's a completely different issue.

It is true that the fact there is "no content" is that I...

Nighthawk6
Grasshopper

It is true that the fact there is "no content" is that I wanted to record shows on Smithsonian channel when it was in free preview.  Either Shaw would not allow that or the free preview period ended before the program was to air.

I read the User Manual for the DCX3510 but its instructions did not match the remote I have for that PVR.  I think I will either leave as is and ignore the "blank" recordings, although the appear on the list of recordings, or physically remove the disk from the PVR and format it on my computer.  I hope then that the PVR will ask to format it when I put it back in the PVR.  Otherwise...

Thanks mdk.

0 Kudos

I have never reformatted a DCX, just the DCTs, but the in...

rstra
Grand Master

I have never reformatted a DCX, just the DCTs, but the instructions here say it will work.

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Resets

Do so at your own risk.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help