Global TV app, Stack TV app Apple TV network subscriptions: what are these apps all about?

rickatk
Master

Recently a number of content bundling apps have appeared, what’s this all about? Why is Global carrying a bunch of networks on its app? What is Stack TV all about and why is Prime offering a subscription? Why is Apple TV offering subscriptions to a number of channels like Smithsonian, BritBox, IFC and many more. How does this compete with conventional cable?

Any ideas what is going on? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Corus owns StackTV and this is just another way for them...

rstra
Grand Master

Corus owns StackTV and this is just another way for them to get their channels out to cord cutters. 

0 Kudos

-- How does this compete with conventional cable?Any idea...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- How does this compete with conventional cable?Any ideas what is going on? 

The offering are designed to compete for the consumers' dollars -- if they were not competing, their income would be ZERO. If they are competing, hopefully their net-income will be greater than ZERO.

Ford makes good vehicles. Why are their other vehicle manufacturers, both domestic and foreign? Because, cynically, there is money to be made, by segmenting the market.  I recognize that giving Ford, or Tesla, a monopoly to sell vehicles, is not good for consumers who want a choice, or want to avoid price-gouging.

0 Kudos

So It seems to me there are content providers and there a...

rickatk
Master

@rstra @mdk 

So It seems to me there are content providers and there are carriers. Cable is but one carrier, now the content providers are turning to other services like Apple TV, Stack, Prime and Global TV app to carry content. I think Shaw is doing a pretty good job with BlueSky. Going to an all app system (Cords cutting) say on Apple TV then adding apps like Prime, Stack, Global TV adds up. I have done some rough calculations and can easily run up the bill using non Shaw streaming apps.

I will say though one serious contender is Samsung TV. That platform carries all the apps but no live TV per se. You are back to subscribing to a number of content providers and no cloud PVR. So really, for me and mine, we are still happy with Shaw’s offerings. My wife really like the cloud PVR and the remote. That of course is very important.

If Shaw provided Apple TV +, Apple Music and Disney +, for me at least, there would be no need for Apple TV, Roku or any other streamer. The Wireless TV players are a great streamer solution. Picture quality is excellent. Dollar for dollar is competitive to say Apple TV or Roku and a bunch of subscriptions which really do add up.

Thanks for clearing this up.

0 Kudos

It now comes down to choice, does cable TV and one or two...

rstra
Grand Master

It now comes down to choice, does cable TV and one or two over the top providers give you what you are looking for or can you get all of your content online? The days of cutting the cord to save money are over because, as you stated, all of the over the top providers all have subscription fees and they add up to more than the cost of traditional cable, but with different content. 

I am happy with cable plus Netflix and Prime, mostly for convenience, I can be bothered to chase around all the different apps and devices, I am still a channel surfer at heart.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help