Google Home/Alexa

rolyat77
Grasshopper

Consider adding Google Home/Alexa compatibility to Bluesky cable boxes... Has anyone looked at this? My TV's are all Smart and respond to google home commands, but when it comes time to change the channel, I need to pick up the remote. I know, first world problems, but it would sure be a nice feature... wireless or wired or bluetooth would be great...

Labels (1)
15 Replies

Re: Google Home/Alexa

rstra
Grand Master

You would need a device in between the Alexa and the BlueSky equipment. I use the Harmony smart hub, it works well for pause/play/skip, volume, channel entry and off/on. I find for other tasks like guide and pvr functions, it is easier to use the remote. 

0 Kudos

Re: Google Home/Alexa

rolyat77
Grasshopper

I actually have a Harmony Smart Hub, and even have the approval for the beta test program. How do you find it? Is setup and use fairly easy? Can you change the channels on the cable box by name or number? Any info you have would be appreciated, I just haven'tgot around to giving it a try...

0 Kudos

I also have a Logitech Harmony hub, Google Home and now A...

ChrisDL
Grasshopper

I also have a Logitech Harmony hub, Google Home and now Amazon Show(Alexa)  and unfortunately the Bluecurve remote/PVR  is not supported because this device is NOT IR.  The Telus PVR I had previously worked well with Harmony because this was IR but unfortunately I had to leave Telus but thats another story.  Alexa is no different and will also not work with Bluecurve.  The only thing I can do is command my Google Home and Amazon show to turn on the TV and other activities involving turning the TV on or Off but I also still need to use my Bluecurve Remote to switch channels.  First world problem but You would think that Shaw would have thought of this BEFORE launching their PVR.  

Shaw, you can also use me as a beta if you want to try out Harmony/Bluecurve integration. 

0 Kudos

LOL on the first world problem comment.  I could not agre...

ChrisDL
Grasshopper

LOL on the first world problem comment.  I could not agree more.  

I also have a Logitech Harmony hub, Google Home and now Amazon Show(Alexa)  and unfortunately the Bluecurve remote/PVR  is not supported because this device is NOT IR.  The Telus PVR I had previously worked well with Harmony because this was IR but unfortunately I had to leave Telus but thats another story.  Alexa is no different and will also not work with Bluecurve.  The only thing I can do is command my Google Home and Amazon show to turn on the TV and other activities involving turning the TV on or Off but I also still need to use my Bluecurve Remote to switch channels.  First world problem but You would think that Shaw would have thought of this BEFORE launching their PVR.  

Shaw, you can also use me as a beta if you want to try out Harmony/Bluecurve integration. 

Must be something wrong with your setup, my Harmony hub w...

rstra
Grand Master

Must be something wrong with your setup, my Harmony hub will turn on/off, pause, volume up/down and change channels on my BlueSky. 

0 Kudos

What is the device you setup on your Harmony hub?  I know...

ChrisDL
Grasshopper

What is the device you setup on your Harmony hub?  I know that the PVR given by Shaw Bluesky is not a recognized device by Harmony.

0 Kudos

I selected Xfinity as the device, it might also show up a...

rstra
Grand Master

I selected Xfinity as the device, it might also show up as Comcast. 

0 Kudos

Hi there. I'm wresting with a Harmony Hub and Alexa set-u...

buckaroo
Grasshopper

Hi there. I'm wresting with a Harmony Hub and Alexa set-up right now and stumbled on this thread. Did your PVR show up when you scanned for devices on the network, or did you have to add it as an entertainment device? Mine never shows up when I scan. 

When I add my TV and the PVR as a comcast device, I get some functionality (Channel up/down, the generic Alexa commands) but I am unable to select channels by favorite keywords or by number. When I give a channel number, Alexa opens the search panel and lists the channel, but doesn't select it.) 

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can get this working? My partner is unable to use a remote, so I really want to get this working for her. Thanks. 

0 Kudos

Sorry for the late reply.  As of I think January, Looks l...

ChrisDL
Grasshopper

Sorry for the late reply.  As of I think January, Looks like Harmony now recognizes the Bluecurve PVR as I can now tell Alexa to turn the TV on and the PVR also turns on. and vise versa. Nice!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help