HDTV channels

robpetts
Grasshopper

12 years ago the CRTC stopped issuing licenses to broadcast Analog TV signals. In 3 years remaining analog broadcasts have to be shut down. So here we are 8 years after the implementation of HDTV (digital) broadcasting and my Shaw tv lineup still consists of basically 50% standard definition channels. Several of which are currently available on Shaw Direct which has bandwidth limitations ! Bandwidth limitIons was always a go to answer for cable providers in the past but in present days fiber optic environments offer practically unlimited bandwidth for HDTV . We pay a lot of money for the delivery of television services and should have the best service available by today’s standards! And that to me means an end to low bandwidth stand definition television broadcasts!  The analog era of tv is over.  Come on Shaw pick up the game and give your subscribers the service we pay a lot of money for! I can’t even imagine how long it will be before they consider 8 or even 4K delivery!Deliver us all channels in 1080p format. Now! 

7 Replies

Re: HDTV channels

robpetts
Grasshopper

I would also like to mention that the quality of your existing HD channels leaves a lot to be desired! The compression algorithms used to transmit your HD channels leave considerable artifacts and blocking that take away from what could be an much more pleasurable viewing experience! Anyone who appreciates the quality of a Blu-ray understands the difference in quality of what you currently deliver. We should expect better for the price you are asking!

0 Kudos

rstra
Grand Master

You are referring to over the air digital broadcasters, not BDUs. Shaw doesn’t have the bandwidth yet to upgrade the SD channels to HD,  but I understand that they are running a trial in Calgary. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I know 82 HD channels were added in Calgary and area in March with the same update “coming soon” to other markets. Any idea on when this might be?

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey crash7,

When we launch to other markets, we will post more information on Community and Shaw.ca. I appreciate your patience.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

sushihunter
Grasshopper

After 5 years of begging...

Finally got Fox News Channel in HD today - It looks great!

0 Kudos

It’s been about 5 days and I’m in Saskatoon and every cha...

dano99
Grasshopper

It’s been about 5 days and I’m in Saskatoon and every channel is finally in HD  

0 Kudos

-- every channel is finally in HD Do you have the Shaw Ga...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dano99 -- every channel is finally in HD

Do you have the Shaw Gateway PVR, or the BlueCurve TV box?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help