Hi, any updates on channel upgrades in the Vancouver area, similar to what has been done in Calgary? Telus is running fibre right to my home as we speak, which means more HD from them and faster uploads than my internet 600. O have been with Shaw since th

rolyat77
Grasshopper

Hi, any updates on channel upgrades in the Vancouver area, similar to what has been done in Calgary? Telus is running fibre right to my home as we speak, which means more HD from them and faster uploads than my internet 600. O have been with Shaw since they took over from Roger's and prefer to stay with them. I like the Bluesky product, but they are beating you in service delivery in internet and TV... Its coming with no idea of when is somewhat annoying. Shaws practice of just implementing with no notice does not help their marketing, greater transparency would work to your advantage. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Hi, any updates on channel upgrades in the Vancouver area, similar to what has been done in Calgary? Telus is running fibre right to my home as we speak, which means more HD from them and faster uploads than my internet 600. O have been with Shaw sinc

shaw-tamara

Hi rolyat77 

We don't have any information available as to when we will be expanding the BlueSky TV enhancements that were recently launched in Calgary. Right now we're essentially in a soft launch phase where we're making sure everything is working as intended before rolling it out to the rest of our service areas. I know that it's frustrating not knowing when this will be available (I'm in Vancouver and I'd love to have the Cloud PVR feature and extra HD channels, too), but we're just making sure that it will be the best possible experience for all of our customers.  Once it's ready to launch in other regions, we'll be sure to post about it here on Community. Let us know if you have any other questions in the meantime! 

0 Kudos

Re: Hi, any updates on channel upgrades in the Vancouver area, similar to what has been done in Calgary? Telus is running fibre right to my home as we speak, which means more HD from them and faster uploads than my internet 600. O have been with Shaw sinc

rolyat77
Grasshopper

Is there still no update on this? Are they installing equipment? Are there problems in Calgary? It has been some time since Calgary got the service and frankly, people on the West Coast are just plain more deserving (IMHO). 🙂 

-- Telus is running fibre right to my home as we speak, w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rolyat77 -- Telus is running fibre right to my home as we speak, which means more HD from them and faster uploads than my internet 600

Things have changed since your post, in June 2019. It is a game of "leap-frog" between Shaw & Telus.

Shaw's marketing is now using "fibre+", meaning 99% fiber-optic cable across their network, with the "last mile" using coaxial-cable from the telephone-pole into your home. Based on your monthly charges for "Internet 600" (which is no longer offered to new customers -- choose 300 or 750 or 1000 or 1500), downloads using Shaw's "fibre+" will be equally-fast as using TELUS's "fiber" system.

In Calgary, Shaw has started to run fiber-optic cable directly into homes. Again, a "soft launch" approach.

If you have the newest Shaw cable-modem, and "Fibre+ 300" or faster, you get 100 Mbps "upload" speed -- probably faster than what you will ever use.

0 Kudos

Hi! Telus ran fibre to my place about 8 Months ago! I see...

rolyat77
Grasshopper

Hi! Telus ran fibre to my place about 8 Months ago! I see it terminated in my garage next to my 2 commercial coax/fibre drops from Shaw.

I just renewed my contract with Shaw and did the 1 gig down and 100 mb up. It is faster than my 600 of course, but it is nice to have the 100 upload too. My brother-in-law and I compare speeds (he has telus) and while he theoretically has 1 gig up and down, I beat him consistently on downloads and his uploads are not much faster. I take down  a 10 gig movie about 25% faster than he does and my internet is just plain more reliable.... Shaw's internet is rated consistently consistent. My friends with Telus do not say the same.... 

I am happy with Shaw, but I love the leap frogging here in Surrey too!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help