How do I buy a Shaw compatible DVR

KS666
Grasshopper

I have an older Motorola 2 channel DVR that I purchased at Best Buy. I want to move up to a 6 channel DVR so I can record more programs. Shaw won't sell me one. They will only rent me one. I find that incredibly frustrating.

I want to own my DVR. How do I go about getting one?

Labels (1)
9 Replies

Check craigslist out - here in Vancouver there's a ton of...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@KS666 wrote:

I want to own my DVR. How do I go about getting one?

Check craigslist out - here in Vancouver there's a ton of Gateways for sale.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/search/ela?query=gateway

0 Kudos

-- [Shaw] will only rent me one. If you sign-up for a two...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@KS666 -- [Shaw] will only rent me one.

If you sign-up for a two-year Value Plan, you get:

* no price-increases for two years,

* a new (or refurbished)  PVR, but note that the monthly "rental" fee will be matched by an offsetting "promotion" discount, giving you a net cost of $0.00 per month.

Given the trouble that some people on this forum have reported with the BlueCurve TV box, I think that it is best to "rent". This will allow you to swap it for a replacement, at no cost to you.

The disk-drive inside my "antique" PVR is showing signs of failure. Long ago, I paid over $700 for it. Now, I wish that I could get Shaw to replace it.

0 Kudos

Given the trouble that some people on this forum have rep...

rstra
Grand Master

Given the trouble that some people on this forum have reported with the BlueCurve TV box, I think that it is best to "rent".

There is no option to purchase the Blue Curve system. 

The risk that some people have with going on a value plan is them losing their grandfathered packaging, so purchasing used is sometimes the best plan.

The reward for one friend for switching to a Value Plan w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

The reward for one friend for switching to a Value Plan was a different cable-modem, with stronger WiFi, 3X-faster Internet, the two-year exemption from price-increases, all for $1 less per month. YMMV.

0 Kudos

Sometimes it is good to go to a VP, sometimes it isn’t. M...

rstra
Grand Master

Sometimes it is good to go to a VP, sometimes it isn’t. My dad just watches sports and does very little on the internet, changing his TV package and upgrading from internet 15 to a new VP would cost him money and his gateway.

0 Kudos

I'm not saying your Dad should or should not switch plans...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@rstra wrote:

Sometimes it is good to go to a VP, sometimes it isn’t. My dad just watches sports and does very little on the internet, changing his TV package and upgrading from internet 15 to a new VP would cost him money and his gateway.

I'm not saying your Dad should or should not switch plans but I will say that when I switched my bundle deal in April I insisted on keeping my Gateway box which they finally agreed to. I think I got a pretty good deal as I went from Internet 15 to Internet 50, from Medium TV ( 8 theme packs ) to Total TV and kept the basic home phone. My bill only increased by $2.85/month so I'm happy but every case is different. 

0 Kudos

I am more concerned about my renewal, I have small TV wit...

rstra
Grand Master

I am more concerned about my renewal, I have small TV with internet 150. Total TV and Internet 300 would be a substantial jump in cost.

0 Kudos

-- upgrading .. would cost him money and his Gateway. Whe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- upgrading .. would cost him money and his Gateway.

When I signed-up for the Value Plan, I kept my Gateway, and its recorded programs. I did not take Shaw's offer for a rental of the BlueCurve, even at a "net" cost of $0.00/month after their promotional discount.

Times may have changed, since last year.

YMMV.

0 Kudos

Ya, I have heard that this is an option, with some coaxin...

rstra
Grand Master

Ya, I have heard that this is an option, with some coaxing (pun intended), and something we will definitely look in to.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help