how do i connect a shaw xi6 bluecurve box to a system with a gateway pvr?

nimbusecho
Grasshopper

how do i connect a shaw xi6 bluecurve box to a system with a gateway pvr?

Labels (1)
9 Replies

You can’t connect Xi6 to a gateway, they require an XB6 t...

rstra
Grand Master

You can’t connect Xi6 to a gateway, they require an XB6 to work.

I am trying to access Netflix on my TV. I have the equipm...

nimbusecho
Grasshopper

I am trying to access Netflix on my TV. I have the equipment I have because that is what YOUR tech told my wife we needed. I simply want to get Netflix on my TV and have so far between "chat"ting and internet spent a rather frustrating two hours trying to do this. I do not know what an XB6 is. Is there no one at SHAW who can assist me here? This is getting more than a little frustrating and annoying. Thank you.

You will need to call or chat in again, I am not an emplo...

rstra
Grand Master

You will need to call or chat in again, I am not an employee, so I am unable to see what equipment you have. 

-- The XI6 box is a "slave" to a BlueCurve XB6 box. These...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nimbusecho -- The XI6 box is a "slave" to a BlueCurve XB6 box. These two boxes communicate via a "hidden" WiFi connection.

If you have the older Arris Gateway box, not a BlueCurve box, Shaw offers a different "slave" box that communicates, over coaxial-cable to the Gateway.

Two completely-different systems.

0 Kudos

-- Two completely-different systems Usually, Shaw custome...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nimbusecho -- Two completely-different systems

Usually, Shaw customers choose one of the two systems. Or, some may say that the newer BlueCurve system is "forced" onto them.

But, as @rstra has mentioned, elsewhere in this discussion forum, if you want to pay more money to Shaw, each month, you can have both systems within your home.

0 Kudos

-- I am trying to access Netflix on my TV. If you have a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nimbusecho -- I am trying to access Netflix on my TV.

If you have a "Smart-TV", it probably will have built-in Internet access, either via WiFi (to your cable-modem) or via an Ethernet cable (to your cable-modem), and it will probably have a Netflix app installed.

Or, if you have a desktop computer (not an "all-in-one" system) that can access the Netflix web-site, you have options:

1. if your TV has a "VGA input" port, and your computer has a "VGA-output" port, you can use the TV instead of your monitor screen. Audio output from Netflix will still go through your computer's speakers.

2. Similarly, if your computer has an "HDMI-output" port, and your TV has a "HDMI-input" port, that will work. The audio-output will be to your TV's speakers.

3. There is "casting" (think of a fly-fisherwoman casting a line) that wirelessly sends the output from your computer's web-browser into the smart-TV. This could be more difficult to set up than #1 and #2, above.

Probably, there are many YouTube videos on how to set up "casting".

Maybe, you need to pay one of those "Geek-In-A-Jeep" mobile TV/networking technicicans to come to your home, to do the setup?

0 Kudos

Thanks for the insight.

nimbusecho
Grasshopper

Thanks for the insight.

0 Kudos

Think I'll play around c/ it a little. Thanks for the gui...

nimbusecho
Grasshopper

Think I'll play around c/ it a little. Thanks for the guidance and direction. You have given me more in 5 minutes than SHAW's "techs" gave us in 2 hours and 4 phone calls.

0 Kudos

No, SHAW gets quite enough money from me as it is, and it...

nimbusecho
Grasshopper

No, SHAW gets quite enough money from me as it is, and it appears to be getting more expensive weekly as the quality of the product they offer continues to decline. This is our first foray into alternative sources of TV; I don't think it will be our last. Thank you for your coments

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help