inconsistent volume on startup

Boight
Grasshopper

I have a Gateway and 4 Portals.

On  my most used portal, when I first turn on the "setup" aka Sony TV and Receiver, some of the channels have "barely there" audio, other channels are just fine volume wise. Eventually all channels have consistent volume. I've only noticed this on the one portal/TV/Receiver so far. 

With the receiver working on some channels and not others I'm ruling it out because if it were the problem all channels would be low. It's kind of a PIB to switch portals around so I'm just wondering if this has been reported before. If it has, then I'll dig out a couple portals and swap them.

Also FWIW, Shaw tech was here a couple days ago on an unrelated Internet issue and even though he went through the house changing ends and replacing older splitters etc. that didn't make any difference. Of course I forgot to mention the TV issue when he was here. Oop.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Try swapping the portal with one of the others to confirm...

rstra
Grand Master

Try swapping the portal with one of the others to confirm that it is the portal having the problem. You could also try bypassing the receiver and go straight in to the TV.

0 Kudos

Well.. It's not the Portal. Same thing with 2 portals. I...

Boight
Grasshopper

Well.. It's not the Portal. Same thing with 2 portals. I doubt it's the receiver as simply changing channels back and forth toggles the sound volume. So, tomorrow I'll begin the day with a different TV and portal pair to see if I get the same thing.

0 Kudos

This morning I tried a different TV/Portal. No problems....

Boight
Grasshopper

This morning I tried a different TV/Portal. No problems. Went to main TV and same problem. Checked all HDMI and everything is snug. Still CBC (it is worst/reliable offender) is bad, CNN is good for about 5 minutes then CBC comes to normal volume levels.

I don't get it, so tomorrow I'll bypass the receiver if I can find get the cables to cooperate. Everything is tied up (literally).

0 Kudos

I never did solve this. I bypassed the Sony receiver and...

Boight
Grasshopper

I never did solve this. I bypassed the Sony receiver and fed strait to TV (all hdmi) and everything works fine.

So now I'm  researching new receivers and I was looking at the Sony STRDH790 BUT I see in the reviews a customer is having the identical problem I posted about. and that's with a brand new receiver.  So I'm wondering if anybody out there has the Gateway/portal system and using a Sony STRDH790 without audio issues.

My next choice is a Pioneer VSX 834 does anybody have that working correctly with Gateway/portals?

0 Kudos

Some Sony receivers have Advance Auto Volume, have you tr...

rstra
Grand Master

@Boight Some Sony receivers have Advance Auto Volume, have you tried setting it to OFF?

0 Kudos

Thanks rstra, I don't see "Advance Auto Volume" anywhere,...

Boight
Grasshopper

Thanks rstra,

I don't see "Advance Auto Volume" anywhere, so I searched on all 3 of those terms (or) . Nothing helpful comes up, other than compression for night mode, which I don't use.  While reading through the manual I came across the full RESET function. Now that the system is pulled away from the wall and I can squeeeeeeze in there, it's worth a try so I'm going to unplug everything and start from scratch including speaker calibration/phase etc.. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help