Intermittent internet and tv

ctludwig
Grasshopper

Yesterday my internet quit around 2 pm MDT. Thought initially it was the modem. So did he usual reboot, etc. I also have a Netgear router so went through the same stuff with that. Nothing helped. I used the Shaw assistant and finally got a technician by chat. We went through the normal trouble shooting and determined it was not me but the incoming feed. Oh, discovered my TV signal was also down during he whole investigation. Later last night I got internet back but TV was still pixelated. Lost it again around 11 pm. This morning I have internet and tv although some channels are worse than others. So, hereโ€™s the question. Is Shaw experiencing band width issues and having trouble delivering their service due to the high level of use with self isolation? Based on my experience so far, this seems to be the issue. Would like to know as this is gonna be frustrating if I lose service every evening in my area.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

> Is Shaw experiencing band width issues and having troub...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Is Shaw experiencing band width issues and having trouble delivering their service due to the high level of use with self isolation?

I doubt it. Shaw uses coaxial cable to deliver Internet and over 200 TV channels, with no "capacity" issues.

> Based on my experience so far, this seems to be the issue.

Can you come out of self-isolation long-enough to talk to your neighbours who also are Shaw subscribers, to ask if they have the same problem at the same time?

Also, contact Shaw, and get a technician to remotely connect to your cable-modem, to view its internal diagnostics, e.g., signal-strength.

Go outside, and inspect the coaxial cable between the "demarcation box" on the outside of your house and the nearest telephone-pole, looking for physical damage. Or, schedule a site-visit from a Shaw technician, to open-up that box, and run some tests of the coaxial cable.  The technician could check for a "dying" splitter inside the box, if you see one coaxial cable going into the box, and multiple coaxial cables going out of the box, feeding into various outlets inside your home.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help