Is SHAW Now Charging For Replacement Gateway Remotes ????

bostonbob
Grasshopper

I have a tech person visiting next week so I asked a CSR if that tech person could bring me a couple of replacement remotes for the Gateway. Both remotes have been heavily used for about 2 to 3 years and both have several buttons that need to be pushed hard a few times to actually work - one of them has a " pause " button that pretty much has to be stood on to make it work. Anyway - the CSR said that since the tech person is coming for a different cable box ( my 3416 keeps switching to a green screen ) that he/she could not provide remotes for a different cable box. I told her that that didn't make any sense and that the tech person would likely have some extra remotes in the SHAW van. But she insisted that the tech guy would not provide any replacement remotes. So I tried calling again the next day figuring that a different CSR would give me a different response. But this CSR agreed that the tech person could not bring me any replacement remotes because the visit was specifically for a different cable box. I was really starting to get upset at this point but then the CSR said that she could simply mail me 2 Gateway remotes. I thanked her but still wondered why she didn't just say that at the beginning. So that should be the end of my story.......but it's not. I get a package from SHAW on Friday and am surprised to find 2 Blucurve remotes inside.

So I called SHAW again today and informed the CSR of their error and told her I would give the 2 brand new Blucurve remotes to the tech person coming next Monday but that I still needed her to send me 2 Gateway remotes. But no - she tells me that there is now a $15 charge per remote and that she would gladly send me 2 remotes but she would have to add an extra $30 to my next bill. I then asked why there was no charge for the 2 Blucurve remotes and she said that that was a mistake. I ended the conversation by telling her that I would not be paying anything for a replacement remote for services that I already pay for. All I know is that over the years I exchanged at least half a dozen remotes ( Gateway and 3416 ) at the downtown Shaw location in Vancouver and never once got charged. If this is a new policy from SHAW then it sucks. SHAW really needs to start putting some more emphasis on keeping their customers happy or the number of customers leaving will continue to grow.

So here are my questions:

- is the SHAW location at 1067 West Cordova open again to the public ???? And will I get charged there if I try to exhcange remotes ????

- anybody here want to pick up 1 or 2 brand new Blucurve remotes ???? If interested just send me a PM here.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

-- in the past (but still during COVID-19), I was in the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bostonbob -- in the past (but still during COVID-19), I was in the local Shaw retail office. I was told that it would be $15 to get one in person, but no cost if I phoned-in. The employee said that they wanted to discourage walk-in traffic to their office.  But, moments ago, in an online-chat, I was told that it would be $15 to get one shipped.

I have had good luck in finding the appropriate remote-controls in the local "Thrift Shop" stores, for $5. Batteries not included.  🙂

0 Kudos

First of all - I refuse to pay one **bleep** cent for a replac...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

First of all - I refuse to pay one **bleep** cent for a replacement remote. Maybe I'm still mad because I was one of those schmucks that actually paid ( around $300 I think ) for my Gateway system so I refuse to pay anymore just to be able to use services that I'm already paying for. I'll try the West Cordova location but if they are actually charging for remotes then that might just be the final straw for me. I've only got 7 or 8 months left on my 2-year deal so leaving is certainly an option at this point. I do like SHAW for the most part as the performance level of their services is top notch but then they lose some of that good will by doing stuff like this. I will try and get some remotes from the tech person that is coming over next Monday. A few years ago I saw the inside of one of those SHAW vans and there were literally dozens and dozens of brand new Gateway remotes piled high in a few open boxes so I'm hoping there's at least 2 he/she could spare.....free of charge of course.😋

0 Kudos

I am sure that the technician will help you out.

rstra
Grand Master

@bostonbob I am sure that the technician will help you out.

0 Kudos

Say a prayer for me.

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@rstra wrote:

@bostonbob I am sure that the technician will help you out.

Say a prayer for me.😃

Wow - SHAW sure is going PC these days. Just noticed that...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

Wow - SHAW sure is going PC these days. Just noticed that dog apple maple noun got bleeped out. 🙄

I was in need of a remote for similar reasons. Usage over...

michaelstein
Grasshopper

I was in need of a remote for similar reasons. Usage over the years causes button wear and tear. Although they might have replaced remotes at no charge in the past. A few years ago they replaced a remote for me as well. The company has since changed their policy (due to COVID-19) and are now charging $14.99 for a replacement remote, and it does not matter if the STB was purchased from Shaw. Is this legal or not is the question. Shaw provides the video content, and it can not be viewed without a working remote control. If the STB suddenly stops working, and if the box is purchased from Shaw, the warranty still carries on, etc along with the provided remote. Without a working remote then the STB is all but useless and can be controlled by the buttons on the front of the unit, which depending on the model# of STB are extremely limited to channel up/down and power off/on (maybe)

Since Shaw can easily determine in their files if the customer purchased the equipment from Shaw or a from Best Buy, Visions, London Drugs, etc (note. these stores no longer sell Shaw equipment but in the past they did)

This change in policy is not sufficient and i invite all that have experienced the same with Shaw to organize a protest in front Shaw Tower at Cordova Street. Let's do this now, people!

It's time for the big companies to pay their fair share.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help