laptop viewing

glendapetrie
Grasshopper

Can I subscribe to cable tv and NOT set up a tv?  I want to view exclusively on my laptop.  What equipment do I need for this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: laptop viewing

shaw-tony

Hey glendapetrie,

Thank you for reaching out! It is required when setting up TV services with us to have a TV set available as you will be receiving a Shaw Digital box. The equipment needs to be plugged into a coax cable connection. Once that is complete, you will have access to view on your laptop through FreeRange TV. Not all subscribed channels will show up through the streaming app as some channels do not have that available. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

A SlingBox or similar could do this.  Connect Shaw's STB (not BlueSky) to the SlingBox, connect the SlingBox to a network (I don't know if a SlingBox needs internet to be configured), connect your laptop.

The laptop would connect to the SlingBox and operate the Shaw service.

Otherwise look for a 'capture' device for the laptop.  It would connect to the Shaw service and act as a TV would.

0 Kudos

james_wb
Grasshopper

I'm looking to do something similar for my wife.  Would any capture device (I assume HDMI to USB) work to view the portal output on her computer?

0 Kudos

Not applicable

It might.  HDMI and HDCP is a funny, temperamental beast..

A component (red-blue-green red-white) capture device would would.  HDMI might.

Personally, I'd still go for a Slingbox vs a capture device directly connected to the computer.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help