Jump to solution

On Demand not working, now no cable at all

thorneytorkelso
Grasshopper

At the end of June, my On Demand suddenly stopped working. I could access it, but there was no option to select SD or HD, just cancel or add to wishlist. When I contacted Shaw I was told that I had cancelled it. This was not true, I had not contacted Shaw to do so, and have no idea how to do that using my remote, or even if that is possible. There was some refresh done, and it went back to working for 5 days or so, I am not sure exactly because i did not watch tv for a few days. On July 7 I found that On Demand was not working at all. Nor were any of them menu functions. I could not find any info in the self help options. As well, Shaw chat was disabled on the website. I had difficulty finding the number to call, and searching brought me around and around in circles. This was frustrating to say the least. Finally I found a number by looking through my phone call history, but Shaw should not be hiding their contact number on the website. I spoke to a rep and told them what had happened before, and they tried remotely adjusting my cable unit but were unsuccessful. I was told I was to recieve a call from technical support in 24-48 hours as there was nothing the rep could do from their end at that point. 72 hours later I still had not received a call so got on hold for an hour or so with Shaw to see what was up. Again, a rep tried to reset the unit but was unsuccessful. They told me my box was outdated and that they would send me a new one that would arrive in 2-4 business days. After 7 business days I contacted Shaw again and was told, no, shipment would take 5-7 business days but to contact them again if I did not recieve a new one in 2 more business days. 5 days later I had still not received a replacement. I called again and was told by the rep that they could not locate a Purolator tracking number so a set had probably not been sent out. That was  this past Monday. I was told a tech would come by between 11am -1pm on Wednesday (today) to bring a replacement and was given a Shaw code number. By 2pm the tech had still not arrived or called. I contacted Shaw again thinking I would have to make another appointment, and was told the tech would phone me and bring the replacement later in the day. Melynda had no idea what the Shaw code I was given was for or what it meant. Today is the first day I've had work in 3 weeks, and I had scheduled a phone meeting with my employer from 3-5 pm. The tech arrived at 3:30pm and had me meet him outside my apartment building as techs can not come into residences because of covid concerns. He wanted me to go inside and set up the replacement unit and let him know when no IP showed on the box so he could set up VoIP. I was unable to do this as I was now at work. He gave me a number and told me to call him when I was able to set up the new unit. I did so an hour and a half later. He tried at least 3 times to connect the service but was unable. He told me he would contact support and have them try, and that it would take 40 minutes or so. Around 6:30pm he called and told me they were unable to connect my service and it must be something wrong in my building. Please note none of my neighbours are experiencing this problem. He told me to contact Shaw and arrange for a special tech that is allowed to enter residences so they could take a look. I am currently on hold with Shaw customer service, I am number 59 in line last I was given an update. 
What should I do to fix this?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

This morning I noticed my box was showing the time. Check...

thorneytorkelso
Grasshopper

This morning I noticed my box was showing the time. Checked it out and looks like everything is working fine, so someone must have been working remotely last night. 
I’d have preferred that it didn’t take all this time and frustrating misinformation to get this resolved, but I’m glad that it finally is. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jump to solution

“let him know when no IP showed on the box so he could se...

rstra
Grand Master

let him know when no IP showed on the box so he could set up VoIP.”

Are you sure that is what the technician said? I am not sure what voip has to do with this, but you don’t want “noip” to show up on the box display, that would indicate a problem with the signal at that cable outlet, which could also explain your original problem with on demand. When activating a new HD guide box, you want to see the code “nocp” on the display, then Shaw can activate it for you.

Jump to solution

Yes, you are right. I was told to call when Vo IP showed...

thorneytorkelso
Grasshopper

Yes, you are right. I was told to call when Vo IP showed on the box. (Tech even wrote it on the side of the box) My mistake, a lot has gone on. But the box only showed no IP. in any case, I called him and he tried 4 times, seemed the 3rd time would work but it failed. Fourth time just failed.Next Wednesday a tech who can enter the suite will be coming in between 8-10 am. I pushed for an early appointment as the guy who came yesterday told me he’d had the worst day on the job ever and every installation had problems and took longer than it should. Early appointment may bypass that happening again.

Thanks for replying!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Glad you are able to get someone in to check things out,...

rstra
Grand Master

Glad you are able to get someone in to check things out, let us know how it goes.

Jump to solution

This morning I noticed my box was showing the time. Check...

thorneytorkelso
Grasshopper

This morning I noticed my box was showing the time. Checked it out and looks like everything is working fine, so someone must have been working remotely last night. 
I’d have preferred that it didn’t take all this time and frustrating misinformation to get this resolved, but I’m glad that it finally is. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That’s good. Yes, I guess someone else was able to get it...

rstra
Grand Master

That’s good. Yes, I guess someone else was able to get it going, you may want to hold on to that appointment for a couple of days before cancelling, just in case.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help