Pixilation

ajfulford
Grasshopper

We have a re-occurring problem with certain channels pixilating.

This has been going on for several years now.  It seems to get worse when the weather is poor (very wet or cold) and possibly when there is a higher number of people viewing a channel. For example, during hockey games for the local team we get pixilation on channels that do not normally have issues. Very frustrating when it is a key game. 

I have spoken with Shaw about this in the past.  I have checked all of our connections, cables have been upgraded and I have reset the box numerous times.  None of these things help. I am certain that the issue is the Shaw signal not being strong enough, in the past I have been told by Shaw that the signal strength is good.  The internet connection does not seem to have any problems. 

I am running 5 TV’s (all High Def) through a passive splitter (high quality). 

My question is, if I were to install a splitter with an electronic amplifier, would that possibly help?

I am looking at a: Leviton 47693-8P 1x* Premium Amplified CATV splitter.

Labels (1)
3 Replies

Which cable boxes do you have? You shouldn’t need an ampl...

rstra
Grand Master

Which cable boxes do you have? You shouldn’t need an amplifier, and, if you did a service technician would install one. That particular model does not amplify the return path, which could really affect the signal of the Shaw equipment. 

Have you had a service technician out to take a look?

-- can you "experiment", by bypassing that 1-to-5 splitte...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ajfulford -- can you "experiment", by bypassing that 1-to-5 splitter, and then watching the game?

0 Kudos

Hi ajfulford, Sorry to hear of your TV signal issues, bu...

wtwasp
Grasshopper

Hi ajfulford,

Sorry to hear of your TV signal issues, but I am glad to hear it is NOT JUST ME! 🙂

I have 3 cable boxes connected to ONE TV in the same room, so one of those signal amplifiers (for me it's a 4-way ; 1 for internet modem, which works fine, and other 3 for the cable boxes) is necessary - but even with that I am now suffering constant intermittent signal breakdown (pixelation and audio drops, sometimes several disruptions in a row over several seconds, potentially missing vital scenes or dialogue of a program). For me it started to get really bad last week around the 17th, but I noticed a few channels exhibiting small video (pixelation) disturbances (audio was fine) several days prior. 

For what it's worth, you might benefit from signal amplifiers/boosters, as you probably have separate outlets/connection per your devices, but it's no guarantee, depending on how bad the crappy incoming signal is. Never hurts to try though.  

I don't know where you're located (to determine if we're sharing the same "source" of the problems), but I am in Applewood / Forest Lawn in Calgary, if that is anywhere near you? 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help