Jump to solution

Poor audio quality on Stingray

easypl8s
Grasshopper

Seems to me the audio quality on Stingray is very poor. Not up to the quality on regular broadcast channels. Any way to fix, or is it just the way it is?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Poor audio quality on Stingray

shaw-tony

easypl8s It is likely compressed for TV use and wouldn't be bandwidth related. An alternative to access the higher quality Stingray music is through their app here. You can sign in with your Shaw ID to gain access.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

Hey easypl8s,

I haven't heard of any reports of poor audio quality from the Sting Ray channels. I gave it a test from all stations and they all sound good. What specific issues are you noticing and are they with all channel or just one?

Keep me posted,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

easypl8s
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

It's at least on Classic Rock and 80s hits.

I did an A-B test on the same song (recorded from CD at best available compression) transmitted by bluetooth from my phone to my soundbar and the difference was noticeable. Just sounds flat and overly compressed on Stingray in comparison. Switching then to a regular broadcast channel brought more depth to the sound.

If Stingray is compressed to that degree I can live with it; just wondering if there's anything I can do. Perhaps it varies by geographic area. I'm Harrison Hot Springs, a smaller centre... is it possible we have less bandwidth?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

easypl8s It is likely compressed for TV use and wouldn't be bandwidth related. An alternative to access the higher quality Stingray music is through their app here. You can sign in with your Shaw ID to gain access.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

lenmare
Grasshopper

my channel 85 hd has poor audio might be more haven’t checked . noticed shaw was in the neighborhood for a few days in the last week maybe they messed up something. (coquitlam rideau ave. area.)

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

shaw-tamara

Hi lenmare 

It sounds like this might be related to the issue being reported here https://community.shaw.ca/message/159234 as channel 85 would not be part of the Stingray channels. I haven't been able to find any open tickets for this so it might be a good idea to get in touch with technical support and they can forward the example. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

lenmare
Grasshopper

i know it is not the stingray channels , just wanted to mention that this is happening on other channels. when should we get new boxes ?. it also was mention in other discussion about these boxes constantly rebooting and resorting.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

easypl8s
Grasshopper

Thanks Tony, I had no idea there was an app... that's way better!

Jump to solution

I've got both Shaw cable and Bell Satelite and Stingray's...

ColinC
Grasshopper

I've got both Shaw cable and Bell Satelite and Stingray's sound on Bell is much more dynamic.  So, when I want to listen to music, I change over to Bell. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help