PVRs

wynford
Grasshopper

Does Shaw still have PVRs?  The Motorola I have is 6.5 years old and can only record 2 channels and you have to watch one that's being recorded.  All the PVRs, they had, seem to have been phased out. I'm a pensioner and can't afford blue curve. What are my other options, if there are any?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies

Your only option for PVRs with more than two tuners is th...

rstra
Grand Master

Your only option for PVRs with more than two tuners is the Shaw gateway system. Unfortunately, Shaw doesn’t sell or rent them anymore so you will need to look for a used model. Try and find a Shaw XG-1, as the older models are not all in one and aren’t as easy to install, plus they are getting pretty old now. Also, make sure you get the serial number and check it out with Shaw to make sure it is not on another account that owes money and that it is clear to be added to your account. D54093E9-18D7-4373-94CC-7D53F61F92ED.png

I would rather have something new... I can stream, I do h...

wynford
Grasshopper

I would rather have something new... I can stream, I do have a roku and amazon fire stick, but they don't have the latest tv show updates (tv is basically all I have for entertainment) for that, I need something with video on demand, at least that shows new tv shows, albeit, 2 or 3 days later, which I could live with..., but need something that tells mw what's on, and I only have internet 75 and 500gb, which Shaw nicely bumped up to unlimited when Covid-19 started, but who knows how long that will last.

I think tv is getting more complicated than easier.

0 Kudos

-- the only "new" Shaw TV box is the BlueCurve. As  wrote...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- the only "new" Shaw TV box is the BlueCurve. As @rstra wrote: Shaw doesn’t sell or rent [the Gateway] any more, so you will need to look for a used model.

I looked on www.UsedVictoria.com and found a Gateway, with remote-control and a remote player, for $10. Is that affordable? Unless you have to travel via BC Ferries & automobile to West Shore, it is affordable.

I am on the Shaw "two-year Value Plan". There is a rental fee for my Shaw Gateway PVR, and a credit that EXACTLY offsets that fee. So, I am paying "zero" for the rental of the Gateway PVR.

The Gateway has MANY more than just TWO tuners. You can record 5 shows at once.

0 Kudos

Thanks, I just wanted to get some ideas of what's availab...

wynford
Grasshopper

Thanks, I just wanted to get some ideas of what's available. I, too, am on a 2 year value plan and have about 7 months left on it

0 Kudos

-- am on a 2 year Value Plan That package entitles you t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- am on a 2 year Value Plan 

That package entitles you to have a "free" (showing a monthly cost on your Shaw invoice, but with an offsetting "promotion" discount) Shaw PVR, either the Gateway (if Shaw still has any available) or the BlueCurve.  Just contact Shaw, and they will ship (via Canada Post) one to you, as part of the contract.

> you have to watch one that's being recorded

No. With your Motorola, you can watch one of the existing recordings, while recording 2 programs.

0 Kudos

I have a Motorola PVR, you can record 2 shows, but you ha...

wynford
Grasshopper

I have a Motorola PVR, you can record 2 shows, but you have to watch one, which is bloody well stupid... it's like recording only one show when you're home.  I think I'm going to get a non recording cable box, there's lots on Facebook marketplace and just use video on demand to watch shows that I normally record when I want, I think that's less hassle than recording 2 shows and unable to watch a third.

0 Kudos

-- I have a Motorola PVR, you can record 2 shows, but you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- I have a Motorola PVR, you can record 2 shows, but you have to watch one.

What model-number is your PVR? On my antique Motorola, I could record 2, while watching something I previously recorded. Both tuners were writing to the disk-drive, while I was watching a recording being read from the disk-drive.

Contact Shaw, to upgrade your PVR. If you can still get the Shaw Gateway PVR, it can co-exist with your Motorola on the same account, to let you watch all your recordings, before you "retire" it. If Shaw only offers a BlueCurve PVR, watch all your recorded content, or lose it, before you agree to accept the BlueCurve.

Or, of course, look on web-sites like Craig's List or www.used.ca for an inexpensive Gateway. Get the serial-number, and confirm with Shaw that they can activate it on your account, before you purchase it.

0 Kudos

Motorola DCX3510-M Shaw doesn't have any PVRs or cable bo...

wynford
Grasshopper

Motorola DCX3510-M

Shaw doesn't have any PVRs or cable boxes except for blue curve

0 Kudos

-- Shaw doesn't have any PVRs or cable boxes except for B...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford  -- Shaw doesn't have any PVRs or cable boxes except for BlueCurve

Look on web-sites like Craig's List or www.used.ca for an inexpensive Gateway. Get the serial-number, and confirm with Shaw that they can activate it on your account, before you purchase it.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help