Recording Sports???

Not applicable

I just got the Blue Sky system 10 days ago and I noticed that on Most sports recordings, the system automatically records for about 2 hours longer than the actual scheduled time... Which is ok, unless you want to record more than 6 programs and the recording times overlap... I've used the "options" thing to change the recording to end 30 minutes late , but it doesn't alter things.  Bottom line, MOST football/hockey/soccer games don't go on 2 hours after their scheduled ending time... for the most part they MIGHT go an extra hour...  Is there any way to eliminate this "auto" extra recording time???    

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Recording Sports???

shaw-tamara

Hey  

I haven't noticed this before because I don't normally record any sports... but it looks like the guide shows an accurate amount of time for the event, but when I set a recording it shows a longer duration in the info. For example, I set up a test recording for a hockey game that was scheduled from 4 to 6:30 in the guide, but shows 4 to 8pm in the info. Do you have your recordings set to start/end on time by default? I'm going to let it record today and can check in tomorrow to see if it ended up recording the full 4 hour block. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Hey Tamara,

Trust me, you will get a 4 hour recording because this is exactly the issue I'm having... Even if I go into options and try to extend by 1 hour, I still get the full 4 hour recording... and THIS is the issue. If I record 4 or 5 games on a Sunday morning ( golf, soccer, hockey, football ) and then try to record 3 or 4 more in the early afternoon, the system won't allow me to because I'll be over the limit of 6 recordings at a time.  The idea behind auto extending sports is nice, but I know a hockey game MIGHT go over by 1/2 an hour , 45 minutes tops... football the same. Besides, if we have the option to extend a game by 30 mins or 60 mins , let us worry if the game goes longer than that.

One other thing, not sure if you are a Shaw employee, but I'll ask this anyways. Why is the FF and REWIND so crappy on some stations and seamless on others??? 

Cheers

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

I just checked the test recording (I went with the Pittsburgh/Islanders game) and it looks like it recorded for 186 minutes. I fast forwarded through to the end to see what was included and it looks like this amount of time was appropriate in this case, since the game went to a shootout. In the info it was scheduled for 4 hours but it seems that it ended at the right spot - there was a bit of post game recorded at the end but it didn't do the full 4 hours, so I suspect something must be different with your settings. Do you know if you have auto pad turned on for your recordings in the settings? 

I haven't really noticed any issues with FF/RW other than the picture quality seems to vary depending on the speed I've selected.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Hi Tamara, 

First off, I turned the Auto Pad off right away. Just checked again it and it's still off. Not sure why you're game only taped for 186 minutes because that is longer than the scheduled time ( 150 minutes ) and less than the 4 hours the system SHOWS... either way, it's not what you expected , which , at the end of the day is what you want.  For the record, all of the games I've PVR'd have gone on for the extended period chosen by the system... not me. 

As far as the FF is concerned, on some channels the picture quality is fine in FF mode , whether it's set at 1 or 4... on other channels it pixilates at level 2 and trying to stop it when you want... SUCKS. 

While I've got you ( sorry Tamara , hahaha ). Why is it that I sometimes see channels on the Listings Guide that I can't watch because I don't pay for them. I know about setting up the guide so that it only shows me the "Free to Me" channels , but every now and then, I end up with these other listings on my guide... I set it up in the options section for the "Free to Me" channels and I've done it several times by double clicking the guide button on the remote. 

And finally... Why is there not an FF button that can jump you forward by 1 or 2 minutes... the one button we can use to FF goes ahead by 5 minutes. Why can't this be adjusted , like the Gateway remote??? If it can't be , it should be.

Cheers   

0 Kudos

vumax
Grasshopper

Hi Tamara. Was the Pitt/Isl game On a Centre Ice channel by chance? On Centre Ice channels when the broadcast is over the signal is removed from that channel. So if there is no longer a signal to record the PVR would probably stop the recording at that point. Centre Ice channels would probably not be the best to test on.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey clayjames,

We had Auto Pad turned on to see if it will record the game for the appropriate time, which it did. We did not run a test with Auto Pad turned off, I do suspect that it will record the 4 hours based what the system shows. Are you able to enable Auto Pad to see if it will correctly record upcoming games?

Based on what you are saying, it may be a signal related issue to your equipment. I will recommend touching base with our technical support team members to go over some troubleshooting steps to ensure the signal is solid.

To set your default guide view to display only the channels that you are subscribed to, select the "Free to Me" option by going to Settings > Preferences > General > Default Guide View. This should help with the issue you've been having.

I appreciate your feedback regarding that function, there are many ways to fast forward. The button you used is the skip button, I will pass your feedback along.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Hi Tony,

I will try with Auto Pad turned on... and then try to extend games as per "options" ( 30 or 60 mins )

I'll also contact tech support for their feedback.

As for "Free to Me", I did this in the Settings area and I still find that it switches randomly. Also used the double click option on "Guide". 

Cheers

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help