SHAW's New Policy on Repairing Cable Boxes

bostonbob
Grasshopper

Basically their new policy is this - they no longer repair any cable boxes at all. About a month ago I posted a thread about SHAW now charging for replacement Gateway remotes: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-discussions/is-shaw-now-charging-for-replacement-gateway-remotes/m-p/4...

Due to September being crazy busy in the film & tv industry I ended up having to reschedule my tech visit a few different times butI finally managed to get a day off that was open for an appointment. So the guy comes into my apartment with a ( probably refurbished ) Gateway cable box even though he was there to look at my old Motorola 3416 cable box. He would not even look at the 3416 and said that SHAW no longer repairs any of their cable boxes. He offered to leave the Gateway cable box but since I only have 1 TV I really have no need for a 2nd box. The only good news - I did pick up 2 replacement Gateway remotes as he had a full box of them in his SHAW truck.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

They never really repaired, but did replace the boxes. Sh...

rstra
Grand Master

They never really repaired, but did replace the boxes. Shaw likely hasn’t ordered anything other than BlueCurve for a few years, so their supply of working units is probably getting pretty low.

0 Kudos

Like many companies in the tech industry, refurbishment i...

rickatk
Master

Like many companies in the tech industry, refurbishment is frequently practised. Per the warranty agreement customers will send in their defective device and will likely get a refurbished product. In many cases a refurbished product is better than new as it is hand picked and gone over by a real person. Apple battery replacement is an example that comes to mind.

All of this serves as a good case for the renting model. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help