Shaw's Race Based Advertising on youtube

mzt
Grasshopper

Every time I go onto youtube I see that same racially offensive and mean spirited advertisement where the older white male blocks the black children's wifi signal. As a 67 year old white male I get fed up with being racially represented in such a negative manner. Every time I see it I find myself frustrated by yet another negative representation of my racial/gender/age group. WHY IS SHAW MAKING THESE RACIALLY DIVISIVE AND OFFENSIVE ADS? Can you not come up with an idea that won't be offensive to your customers?? And why is Shaw picking on my group in society this way?? It's ridiculous and racially mean spirited Shaw.

I pay over $250. every single month to your company, and yet I have to be offended by your blatantly anti white male messaging every single time I go onto youtube?? ughhhh.  Please make it end!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Hi  , isn't that funny I've seen those commercials your t...

g-idk
Master

Hi @mzt , isn't that funny I've seen those commercials your talking about and not once have I even remotely thought of the race card, guess I have more important things that might offend me.  By the way why are you still watching ads on Youtube, don't you use an adblocker extension in your browser to eliminate all Youtube ads, I can suggest to you AdBlocker Plus which I've used for years now and it works great, no more ads break ever on Youtube.  Hope you have a better day, we can't change the world overnight.   

0 Kudos

"and not once have I even remotely thought of the race ca...

mzt
Grasshopper

"and not once have I even remotely thought of the race card" How can you not?? We have been conditioned to think of race first and foremost in our modern society, so as not to offend others, and yet here I find myself highly offended by this nasty little representation of my own group. Unfortunately your comment does not provide an answer to my concerns, firstly because the offensive ad is still being shown, and secondly because I am watching this on my Samsung large screen tv, not a computer and am not willing to pay even more money for that. And why should I have to? I should not have to be personally offended by my own internet and tv company every time I log into youtube when I pay them over $250 every month. That is just unacceptable.

0 Kudos

Hi again  , didn't know you were watching Youtube via the...

g-idk
Master

Hi again @mzt , didn't know you were watching Youtube via the tv app, my bad for assuming computer/tablet.  I guess the reason why I wasn't offended is all I saw were people, black/white didn't enter the equation.  I grew up in a small town with white/first nations/mixed so I was taught that I should just see a person and not what they look like, and for the last 20 odd years I have lived and worked in a 85-90% new immigrant apt. complex.  Don't get me wrong you have every right to complain if you are feeling offended, since this is only a peer to peer discussion forum and not a direct path to Shaw Support may I suggest that you  this link Contact Resolution - Enhanced Customer Feedback | Shaw  and let them know how you feel about this advertisement.  Hope this is some better help than I can give.   

0 Kudos

Thank you. Tbh that wasn't the type of comment I was expe...

mzt
Grasshopper

Thank you. Tbh that wasn't the type of comment I was expecting when I saw that you had responded again, and I certainly appreciate that it was informative and not acrimonious. 

0 Kudos

, no worries, your welcome.

g-idk
Master

@mzt , no worries, your welcome.  

0 Kudos

Better yet contact Canadian Advertising Standards, file a...

rickatk
Master

Better yet contact Canadian Advertising Standards, file a complaint:

https://adstandards.ca

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help