Shaw shuts Down it's Customer Loyalty Department

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Well, after 30 minutes yesterday trying to contact anyone at Shaw concerning my expiring Customer loyalty promo on my Internet 300, I was informed that Shaw has Shut down it's Customer Loyalty Department! All options presented to me, by 3 different person, all of them reading from scripted responses, resulted in me paying dramatically more. I gave up after the last person said that Shaw had shut down it's customer loyalty department 2 weeks ago! Their response was that they have NO more promos for me because I am on a monthly contract. I have been on a monthly contract for 40 years! Sad day for a company which used to have GREAT customer service. Times are changing and not for the good of the customers. Corporate profits "trump" customer service/loyalty and it's time to look for another service provider.

Labels (1)
21 Replies

-- I have been on a monthly contract for 40 years! I swit...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- I have been on a monthly contract for 40 years!

I switched to a "two-year Value Plan", to get higher Internet speeds, at a lower price, with no price-increases during the term of the contract.

That makes sense.  I have had issues the past few days wi...

Sarogath
Grasshopper

That makes sense.  I have had issues the past few days with a suspect Gateway and called today as the techs who could normally switch it out and provision are not allowed to enter my house.  I called customer service and the first person answered informed me that they were retention which told me that anybody is retention.  After an exhaustive call where I actually had to go outside and get the tech to talk to that lady she told me there was nothing they could do.  They can replace the gateway but nobody can come in to set it up or they can upgrade me (use that term loosley) to wireless blue curve boxes but there would be new fees charged.  I can't believe this company is so comfortable with loosing its customers.  DO NOT SIGN WITH SHAW IF YOU CAN HELP IT.  Discussing options with Telus but of course I am held down by a one way Shaw contract.  When it is done, they have lost a long time customer.  I can't believe this is how you, a 40 year customer gets treated.  Disgusting SHAW!

0 Kudos

-- the techs who could normally switch it out and provisi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sarogath -- the techs who could normally switch it out and provision are not allowed to enter my house. 

Yes, due to COVID-19 pandemic, they will not enter your dwelling.

You have two choices

1. Get Shaw to ship one, via Canada Post, to your front door, which takes 3 or 4 business days;
  2. Schedule a technician to bring one to your front door, and "drop" it there. The technician will return to their vehicle, and use their mobile-phone to call you.

Either the call from the on-site technician, or a telephone call to Shaw will talk you through the "migration" process, namely to put the new Gateway on top of the old Gateway, and move exactly 3 cords (electrical power, coaxial cable, HDMI cable) from "old" to "new". Not difficult, but you may need an adjustable pair of pliers to start the unscrewing of the tightly-connected coaxial-cable from the old Gateway.

Slide-out the old Gateway, and pack it into the box that held the new Gateway. Take the provided mailing-label (sticky back) to any Canada Post outlet, and ship it back (at Shaw's cost). You'll get a Tracking Number from Canada Post, to prove to Shaw, if necessary, that you are returning it.

The final step is for you (or the on-site technician) to provision the new Gateway, using the serial-number of the new Gateway.

Done!  Not rocket science. 🙂

0 Kudos

Hello Mdk, This is not an option based on face to face di...

Sarogath
Grasshopper

Hello Mdk,

This is not an option based on face to face discussion with a shaw tech.  We spoke at arms length and he mentioned that there is a technical menu that he would need to access.  The process may require much updating and power resets and can take an hour or more.  That being said I did speak with Gurpreet from customer service who echos exactly what you are saying.  I said well, maybe she knows more than the onsite tech and agreed to either one of the two options you mentioned above.   When she went to place the order she must have been prompted because immediately she came back and said that indeed the tech was correct (go figure)  and this piece was not able to be provisioned by myself.  Like you say, not rocket science and technically I am more than capable.  I can go back to tech support/customer service with your information and ask them to try again but at this point an on site tech shaw tech was unable to help and an offsite service person was unable to ship me a new gateway.  Any other ideas, happy to try.  

0 Kudos

-- We spoke at arms length Yes, the technician was follo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sarogath -- We spoke at arms length

Yes, the technician was following his employer's protocol -- attend on-site, but not enter the customer's home.

Yes, face-to-face (while socially-separated) is similar to the alternative, speaking to you from his mobile-phone to your home phone.

> and he mentioned that there is a technical menu that he would need to access.  The process may require much updating and power resets and can take an hour or more. 

Really? Especially when replacing one Gateway by another Gateway, which should be "dead simple".

Yes, it is possible that the new Gateway, once provisioned, may download the very-latest firmware, and would restart itself. This will "take an hour or more", after it has been provisioned.

When I did the same "new-replacing-old" transition, it was 100% a "self-install" for me, including giving the new device's serial-number to the "activations" department at Shaw. There was no such "technical menu" access needed, unless the Shaw employee meant setting the output display resolution (720p? 1080i?) into your TV.

> When she went to place the order, she must have been prompted because immediately she came back and said that indeed the tech was correct (go figure)  and this piece was not able to be provisioned by myself. 

Quite odd, especially for an "old-to-new" transition, as opposed to a "first-time" installation/configuration.

> at this point an on site tech shaw tech was unable to help

So, is your new Gateway working, or is it not working?

Did you call Shaw's "activation" department, and get help to get it working?  Did you need to do so?

> an offsite service person was unable to ship me a new gateway. 

This makes sense, given that you just received a new one, at your front door. Of course, if you have reported that it is a "dud", Shaw would provide another unit, because Shaw wants to keep you as a monthly-paying customer.

0 Kudos

Hey mdk,   I will fill in more info that might answer som...

Sarogath
Grasshopper

Hey mdk,

I will fill in more info that might answer some of your questions.  June 17th we had called because our menu/guide was not working correctly.  We thought maybe an update needed to be pushed.  Throughout the call we restarted the gateway and portal/Arris box (1 of 5 of them).  Nothing seemed to work.  The person online  suggested a tech come out and test the line to the house.  They mentioned that was the best they could do.  June 20th a tech came out.  He tested the line and it was good.  We spoke at the doorway.  From June 17th to June 20th the system had gotten worse and the Gateway was making noises very similar to a computer that has died.  Although the tech could not come in we discussed the noises and the responses of our current system.  He was close to 100% sure the fault was in the hard drive in the gateway.  He said although he had a refurbed gateway in his truck it required a tech to provision and therefore was not an option.  He suggested going to Blue Curve as it was a self serve option.  The issue is I have 5 portals and Shaw was only willing to replace 3 of my units without further charge.  I am currently unemployed due to Covid and cannot really bring on higher debt at this time, so that did not look like an option.  While he was in my driveway, I called Shaw.  I explained everything to the lady on the phone who had a very hard time understanding my issue.  She offered to charge me more for Blue Curve, which I declined due to the above reason and mentioned that she could send out a gateway which I said the tech who was still outside said I would not be empowered to self serve it.  She did not believe me and so I gave my phone to the tech who was still in my driveway.  He explained this was not an option multiple times and then I gave me back the phone.  She did not believe him and so I said, fine send me a new gateway and will see who is correct.  Moments into her processing the request she said she wasn't able to and that it required a tech to come into the house.  I need to stress a couple of points.  I have not received a replacement gateway.  I am not able to obtain one from Shaw.  If you are able to send me one or to help me get one or proper service that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos

Absolutely This is awful! Terrible customer service.

christinestuit
Grasshopper

Absolutely This is awful! Terrible customer service. 

The customer service has really changed. That same integr...

Ballenpalmer
Grasshopper

The customer service has really changed. That same integrity is not there. Very sad.

-- From June 17th to June 20th the system had gotten wors...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sarogath -- From June 17th to June 20th the system had gotten worse and the Gateway was making noises very similar to a computer that has died.  We discussed the noises and the responses of our current system.  He was close to 100% sure the fault was in the hard drive in the Gateway. 

I would agree -- a "dying" disk-drive can make extra noise, as it "retries", multiple times, every read/write operation.

> the tech could not come in 

This is understandable, given the knowledge about COVID-19 last June.

> He said although he had a refurbed gateway in his truck it required a tech to provision and therefore was not an option. 

>  She did not believe him

I agree with her, and disagree with him.

I have done a "self-service" replacement of my antique Motorola PVR by a Shaw Gateway box -- just disconnected some cables, and then connected them to the Gateway. Of course, I had to contact Shaw, to give them the serial-number of the Gateway, to "add" it onto my Shaw account. This was quickly done by an Agent, and less than 15 minutes later, the Gateway was fully functional. At the time, I did not have any Shaw Portals. Maybe, giving her the serial-numbers of the Portals would have allowed her to add them to my Shaw Account, to enable them.

> I have not received a replacement gateway.  I am not able to obtain one from Shaw.  

I think that Shaw has no remaining inventory of the Gateway boxes, and probably never will get any inventory. So, all new customers get the BlueCurve.

>  If you are able to send me one or to help me get one or proper service that would be appreciated.

I am not employed by Shaw, and I don't know your shipping-address.  However, I have browsed www.used.ca and Craig's List web-sites, and have found TELUS customers who switched from Shaw, and now are trying to sell their Gateway. One listing was "free" and one was $10 -- an early start on Spring-Cleaning. Get the serial-number of the Gateway, and contact Shaw, to ensure that they will activate it on their network.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help