streaming tv

wynford
Grasshopper

Does Shaw require you to have at least basic tv to stream tv from your computer to your tv through the internet?  My contract is almost up and I was thinking about cancelling my shaw tv and just stream.

Labels (1)
15 Replies

You would need to subscribe to at least Limited TV.

rstra
Grand Master

You would need to subscribe to at least Limited TV. 

0 Kudos

That's what I have... so what's the point of streaming tv...

wynford
Grasshopper

That's what I have... so what's the point of streaming tv if you need at least limited tv?

0 Kudos

So you can stream.... You have to be a TV subscriber to h...

rstra
Grand Master

So you can stream....

You have to be a TV subscriber to have access to streaming TV, nothing is free.

0 Kudos

-- it depends on the "source" for your streams.  Some web...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- it depends on the "source" for your streams.  Some web-sites, e.g., CTV, Global, CityTV, CBC, post their shows on their web-site, without requiring any "login" or any "authentication" or "subscription" via Shaw to those channels.

The "authentication" procedure, for some channels, e.g., for Global's "Discovery" channel, require that your Shaw TV subscription includes that channel.

But, some web-sites are completely "open" for streaming -- no strings attached.

0 Kudos

That's exactly what I want to do... stream CTV, Global, C...

wynford
Grasshopper

That's exactly what I want to do... stream CTV, Global, CityTV... websites from my computer to my tv... I can stream those channels now, but I wasn't sure if I needed the limited tv to be able to do so. I don't care or want any of those specialty pay channels.

0 Kudos

Some of the premium features and content may be missing w...

rickatk
Master

Some of the premium features and content may be missing without a basic cable subscription. For example the Global TV app has lots of new features and streaming sources but you are required to have a basic cable subscription.

This whole area of cable v streaming has gotten very complicated and confusing. You can bet whatever offerings are out there, not much will be free.  

0 Kudos

-- streaming has gotten very complicated and confusing....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- streaming has gotten very complicated and confusing. 

And, starting this Wednesday, the new NBC "Peacock" streaming service will start; it will be "free" -- maybe only in the USA, and probably only for a limited time, and probably limited to past/current NBC/Universal productions.

> not much will be free.  

It seems that The Knowledge Network (and its series of quality foreign productions) and the CBC "Gem" will continue to be free..

0 Kudos

CBC Gem offers basic programming and some live TV. The go...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@rickatk -- streaming has gotten very complicated and confusing. 

And, starting this Wednesday, the new NBC "Peacock" streaming service will start; it will be "free" -- maybe only in the USA, and probably only for a limited time, and probably limited to past/current NBC/Universal productions.

> not much will be free.  

It seems that The Knowledge Network (and its series of quality foreign productions) and the CBC "Gem" will continue to be free..

CBC Gem offers basic programming and some live TV. The good stuff(News Network, docs) is of course accessible by subscription. I think of streaming and cable co offerings as similar. I so far many of the cable co offerings are available through streaming under subscription. I found that with Gem. Many of Gems offerings are available with a Shaw bundle.

0 Kudos

I predict that cable tv will be obsolete within 5-10 year...

wynford
Grasshopper

I predict that cable tv will be obsolete within 5-10 years and all tv watching will be through streaming services as there are more and more coming out.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help