In 5-10 years? It is hard to be certain, but not in 5 yea...

rstra
Grand Master

In 5-10 years? It is hard to be certain, but not in 5 years. The initial driving force behind the loss of cable subscribers was price, now, when you add all the streaming providers, the cable providers are competitive once again. The way cable tv is delivered will certainly change, with apps on TVs, more of the content on demand and 5G. We will also likely see many more specialty channels shutdown over the next few years, but cable has some life in it yet.

-- all tv watching will be through streaming services as...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- all tv watching will be through streaming services as there are more and more coming out.

How will this benefit the consumer, when paying monthly subscription fees to:

1. NBC Peacock,
  2. NBC(?) Hulu,
  3. CBS All Access Canada,
  4. ABC's Disney+,
  5. Apple TV+,
  6. Amazon Prime,
  7. Netflix,
  8. Criterion,
  9. and so on?

???

Will paying individually sum-up to a higher total than Shaw's "Total TV" bundle?

0 Kudos

It's your choice to subscribe to those, if you want, I do...

wynford
Grasshopper

It's your choice to subscribe to those, if you want, I don't. 

0 Kudos

Hey  I do not think you made mention of how you plan on s...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

Hey @wynford I do not think you made mention of how you plan on streaming to your TV. For example, are you going to use an HDMI cord from your computer to your TV, cast with Chrome Cast or Apples thingy, or do you have a smart TV with the apps already built in?

I am asking only because, it sounds like you prefer the major local channels over all the other fluff. And I am not sure what their individual subscription rates are but if it accumulates to more than $25 you are better off with a TV provider. Shaw technically is now a streaming service with their Blue Curve system. With all the channels being delivered by IP now to a wireless cable box in your home.

So yes, TV as it once was may be on it's way out, but providers are adapting their way of providing bundled service for less money and a similar experience to the streamers.

Just my point of view, and I am not trying to convince you to stay with Shaw, just wanted to share why I still like Shaw over the streamers.

Through an hdmi cable from my computer to my tv via roku...

wynford
Grasshopper

Through an hdmi cable from my computer to my tv via roku streaming device as my tv is not a smart tv and all that 'fluff', I'm not interested in.

0 Kudos

Shaw technically is now a streaming service...

rickatk
Master

@SP3CTRYS wrote: .... Shaw technically is now a streaming service with their Blue Curve system. With all the channels being delivered by IP now to a wireless cable box in your home.

I fully agree. I have the Blue Curve Wireless TV Players connected to four tv’s. With that I have access to Shaw’s full cable line up and Cloud PVR. All accessible using a voice activated remote. I also have an Apple TV (v4) connected to one tv. Apple TV gives me access to all the streaming content but not Shaw’s line up or Cloud PVR. There is also a voice activated remote. In another room I have access to all the streaming apps directly in my very smart Samsung tv, including Apple TV, Apple Music and Disney +. The Samsung tv has a voice activated remote as well.

All these devices and players are pushing content in a variety of methods over IPTV, including Shaw. Shaw is definitely in the streaming game and has some features no one else is offering like Cloud PVR. Interestingly, the streaming services are starting to bundle subscription services as well. Apple TV has a lineup of services in it’s Apple TV app as does Samsung. Even Global has bundled a bunch of networks that will play through their Global TV app, soon over Apple TV streamers(thingy).   

I don't think “cable” is dying but it may look very different in a few years. I am curious why Shaw hasn’t turned their cable service into an app and monetize it. Shaw’s cable packages bundled as an app. No hardware just an app. Hmmm.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help