TV recordings

Marie35
Grasshopper

I have trouble with recordings for MONTHS now: happens  randomly. Cannot access recordings, the message says try later, recorded shows disappear, series are recorded 80% of the time. Tried everything with the tech department over and over.  A technician came over to change the main box, but it did not change anything. I had some good rebates while they said they are trying to fix the issue so I waited. They excalated the problem and I was told they are looking into it but It is still the same months later.  Now Shaw does not want to give me further rebates so since I am not getting the service I pay for and they do not offer a compensation other than free movies (which have no value to me), I want to switch to Telus but Shaw says I have to pay a penalty because my 2 year term is not up.  Does that sound fair? What should I do? I have spent hours on the matter over these last months, I need a solution which they do not seem to be able to work out .What should I do next?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

I would suggest trying to get another service call booked...

rstra
Grand Master

@Marie35 

I would suggest trying to get another service call booked, it could possibly be a signal issue. Other than recording, how is it when you are watching live TV?

0 Kudos

The signal is fine, got checked at the last service call...

Marie35
Grasshopper

The signal is fine, got checked at the last service call and the technician, a senior technician with lots of experienced changed the wiring connection to the house and the main box just in case. Did not change a thing.  I had a similar issue in another home about 2 years ago and the diagnosis was that it was a Shaw problem up the chain, not at the house, and I had a very polite phone call from the escalated department telling they were correcting the issue and problem was solved. Maybe they have lost talent in that department with the pandemic and do not know what to do, or they are waiting for Rogers to buy Shaw and are not investing in tech anymore in the meantime. Anyway, I was sort of accused of having taken advantage of too many rebates and should not have more rebates because even if  I have not the complete service I dearly pay for and yet I should be penalized if I leave for Telus. 

0 Kudos

Sorry to hear that. For them to accuse you of taking adva...

rstra
Grand Master

@Marie35 

Sorry to hear that. For them to accuse you of taking advantage of the credits is not right, they are the ones offering them to you, instead of fixing the issues. Anyway, I would still request a service call, maybe the last one missed something. I hope you get this resolved.

0 Kudos

-- I want to switch to Telus but Shaw says I have to pay...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Marie35 -- I want to switch to Telus but Shaw says I have to pay a penalty because my 2 year term is not up.  Does that sound fair? 

Yes, you signed a two-year contract. If you have 2 Shaw services (Internet & TV) the penalty is $20, for each month remaining in the contract. If you have just 1 service, the penalty is $15 per remaining month. Note that paying $20/month is much less than what you are currently paying to Shaw per month ($100? $200?).

What should I do? 

At least 3 times in the last 2 years, Telus employees have come to my front-door, offering to "buy-out" my remaining months of my contract, by giving me $20 per month of "Telus credit", if I switched to Telus.  I recommend that you contact Telus, and ask about this promotion. Of course, as a "new" customer of Telus, you should get a promotional-rate for the first 12 months.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help