Upgrading equipment need advice

pryingcat
Grasshopper

I haven't upgraded my shaw internet or tv equipment in over 5 years.

I currently have for the home:

Internet: Hitron modem for 300Mb

TV: Motorola DCT 6416 3, Arris (Gateway hdpvr) ax103anm, and 2 Motorola DCX 3200

If I upgrade my modem to the Fibre+ Gateway. I'm considering a wireless 4k pvr with cloud storage.

Can I still use my existing pvr's with the new system using the wall outlets.

Also do I rent the new pvr's or how much is it to purchase. That goes for the wifi pods too. Can they be purchased or do have to pay $10 to rent, and how many do you get for $10.

One last question: Do you still get cloud pvr with limited tv option and can you seperate cloud recordings by person or are they just jumbled together as one.

I live in Vancouver, BC. The new system is getting me confused. The Internet portion and TV portion of Shaw seem to be merging into one connected system.

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@pryingcat -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support. So, only a few of your questions can be answered.

1. If you wish to keep using your existing PVRs, and you also want to have the newest BlueCurve PVR, then, as @rstra has frequently stated, you will need to pay for a second account. 

2. The "cloud PVR" service is available in Vancouver. My guess is that having "Limited TV" channels does not prevent usage of "cloud PVR".

I recommend that you contact Shaw (currently, online chat has priority over telephone) to get pricing information.

Note that "4K" programming currently is very rare. Netflix? Youtube Premium?. My thought is that it is too soon to upgrade to get "4K" programming.

P.S. The disk-drive inside your DCT 6416 is quite an "antique" -- expect that it will fail, fairly soon.

0 Kudos

I’ll chime in regarding the wifi pods. There’s two types...

Spatch
Grasshopper

@pryingcat 

I’ll chime in regarding the wifi pods.  There’s two types you can get:

1.  Blue Curve pods — these come in a bundle of three and can only be rented for $10 per month.  These have been available for a few years now.

2.  Fibre+ pods — these have only been out a few weeks.  They’re more powerful than the blue curve pods so, notionally at least, a single Fibre+ pod can do the job of three blue curve pods.  The Fibre+ pods can be rented for $10 per month for a single pod, or can be purchased outright for $199.

I just replaced my three blue curve pods with a Fibre+ pod two days ago so I don’t really have a firm opinion yet as to its efficacy relative to the old pods.  But so far I haven’t run into issues with any kind of noticeable decrease in device connectivity quality (and I have literally dozens of devices in my home).  I’m renting it for now but if it works out (so far so good) I’m going to purchase it outright. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/about-fibre-wifi-pods/ta-p/5036

TALK TO US
We're here to help