Voice command doesn’t work with a/v receiver

Jneron
Grasshopper

Just upgraded from Shaw gateway to Shaw blue curve tv and I have a weird problem. If I feed the HDMI signal from the set top box to my a/v amp, then it doesn’t recognize any voice commands.  If I bypass the amp & plug the set top box directly into the tv, then voice commands work. 

this doesn’t make sense to me, since the commands are for the set top box, which acts on the command. The amp should have nothing to do with it. 

Shaw has already replaced this set top box, same problem with the new one.  I have swapped this box/remote with another one in the house, and it works in the new location. The one that worked in the other location does not work when plugged into the amp.

i thought maybe the amp was generating something that interferes with the RF signal, so I plugged the box directly into the tv and also turned on the amp to see if that would fail. It worked fine. It seems to only fail when the signal actually goes thru the amp. 

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jean

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies

-- If I feed the HDMI signal from the set top box to my a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jneron -- If I feed the HDMI signal from the set top box to my a/v amp ...

Nothing?  If you use the "channel-up" button on the Shaw remote, instead of voice, does it have any effect?

Are you sure that you are connecting the HDMI-out from the STB to an HDMI-input socket on the A/V receiver, and the HDMI-out from the A/V receiver into the HDMI port on the TV? 

Does your A/V receiver have multiple HDMI-output sockets, and are you telling the A/V receiver which HDMI-output socket is the "active" one?

Does your TV have multiple HDMI-input sockets, and are you telling the TV which HDMI-socket is the "active" one?

0 Kudos

Sorry for the delay, vacation... Yes, the channel up on t...

Jneron
Grasshopper

Sorry for the delay, vacation...

Yes, the channel up on the Shaw remote works. Everything on the Shaw remote works, just not voice..

Yes, the HDMI connections to the receiver and tv are correct. STB to an HDMI input on the receiver, HDMI out from the receiver to the HDMI input in the TV. If I unplug the STB from the receiver & plug it into the TV directly (in lieu of the receiver connection), then voice works.  

We used to have a gateway, and I just replaced the gateway STB with the blue curve one, keeping all the same connections to the receiver & tv. 

Any other suggestions appreciated. 

thanks 

0 Kudos

After pressing and holding the setup button until the LED...

rstra
Grand Master

After pressing and holding the setup button until the LED turns green, do you get the three digit pairing code on then screen?

0 Kudos

Not at first, then suddenly it did show the 3 digit numbe...

Jneron
Grasshopper

Not at first, then suddenly it did show the 3 digit number, but when I tried to enter the number on the remote, it didn't register (no numbers shown on the tv). I exited that display back to regular tv, and after a minute or so it displayed a message that said my remote was paired for voice (or something like that).

I can press the voice button and the tv says 'Listening', but whatever I say it just comes back with 'Sorry, I didn't get that'. No, it's not my accent and I don't have a speech impediment. We have other tvs that understand me perfectly, and as I said, if I bypass the a/v amp & plug the STB directly into the tv, then this one also understands me.

It's a complete mystery.

0 Kudos

I wonder if hdmi-cec is active on on the receiver and it...

rstra
Grand Master

I wonder if hdmi-cec is active on on the receiver and it is interfering with the cable box control. 

0 Kudos

I thought of that and turned that feature off. No differe...

Jneron
Grasshopper

I thought of that and turned that feature off. No difference.  

0 Kudos

A real head scratcher. Would it work for you if you conne...

rstra
Grand Master

A real head scratcher. Would it work for you if you connected the HDMI to the TV and then use optical audio to the receiver?

0 Kudos

It might. FYI: The wireless blue curve STBs do not have a...

Jneron
Grasshopper

It might. FYI: The wireless blue curve STBs do not have any audio outputs, only a bluetooth connection. However, I'm already using an HDMI splitter to feed the audio elsewhere. I might be able to re-jig that, but then I might have a problem with audio & video getting out of sync. I'll give it a try & see what happens.

Also, I was having this problem before I installed the HDMI splitter, so that made no difference (good or bad).

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reminder, still on the wired version here.

rstra
Grand Master

Thanks for the reminder, still on the wired version here. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help