What happens to our cable TV when rogers takes over

kensw
Grasshopper

Worst case scenario one day our cable tv just stops working and we are left on our own to figure out how to switch

Labels (1)
8 Replies

-- worst case #2: Rogers will contact you, and offer you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kensw -- worst case #2: Rogers will contact you, and offer you similar services at a higher monthly rate, to try to retain the cash-flow from you.

0 Kudos

Most likely, Rogers will try to retain our business, and...

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Most likely, Rogers will try to retain our business, and multi-year contracts, and will proactively reach out in some way. Timing is an issue.  My Shaw 2-year contract expires in November, 2022, and I'd be really reluctant to agree to two more years prior to the switchover.

If you are mid-contract, chances are that you may be simply slammed into Rogers.  It seems possible that Shaw can assign our existing contracts to Rogers -- the fine print in my contract ("Shaw Agreement") says "This Agreement is non-transferable by you but may be freely assigned by Shaw". 

There is lengthy verbiage (see Shaw's "Privacy Policy") about protecting personal information, of which there is plenty in our contracts and related service and support data. But presumably this can be ignored in a takeover. 

If the timing works, I see this as an opportunity to decide finally whether I want to move to the opposition or not.  So I'm actively researching Telus, among others, to make sure I know what a competitive offer from Rogers looks like.

I had such a great e-mail address at Shaw, and it is used all over as a sign-on credential and contact e-mail address, that I was reluctant to drop Shaw. But now that decision has been made for me, it seems. I'm forced to root out the Shaw e-mail address from my life. 

My decision criteria include cost, hardware (I want to get wi-fi 6), video services (streaming services carried by Rogers or the competition) and TV channel supply. 

Overall, this is simply me trying making the best of a forced change, and a bad situation.  I have vague hopes that something good will come of it. 

0 Kudos

--  I'm actively researching Telus ...   Three times in t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kenohrn --  I'm actively researching Telus ...

Three times in the last 1.5 years, a Telus salesperson has come to my front door, to offer a "buy-out" of my Shaw two-year Value Plan, if I were to switch (TV, Internet, Home Phone, Mobile Phone) to TELUS. They offered $20/month, for each of the remaining months on my Shaw contract, in "Telus Credit". That $20/month charge is in the "fine-print" of the Shaw contract, as the cancellation fee.

So, when you do talk to Telus, bargain to get that "buy-out" bonus.

You pay thru the nose or find new provider. Better to fin...

Keith153
Grasshopper

You pay thru the nose or find new provider. Better to find new provider ahead of time before they follow Roger's suit and raise prices.

0 Kudos

One of the conditions for Rogers was to expand low cost p...

rstra
Grand Master

@Keith153  One of the conditions for Rogers was to expand low cost plans, I doubt prices will increase, other than the annual increases. I am sure that Rogers will honour Shaw value plans. 

I am looking forward to Rogers’ better TV and internet options, and to be able to bundle a phone, I tried with Freedom, but it didn’t work for me.

I expect everything will occur quite seamlessly, save any...

rickatk
Master

@kensw wrote:

Worst case scenario one day our cable tv just stops working and we are left on our own to figure out how to switch

I expect everything will occur quite seamlessly, save any minor bugs and glitches. Existing contracts will stay in place and Rogers has committed to a 5 year rate freeze for many service areas. The government has drawn up a list of expectations and agreements with hefty penalties for non compliance. Rogers has promised more than 3000 jobs as part of the restructure. Hopefully existing onshore Shaw employees will benefit. The other telcos are busy ramping up their systems to take on the Rogers cable  juggernaut. There has been much doom and gloom expressed about this merger. I for one am not worried. Frankly I have not been very impressed with the creation of small companies to stimulate competition. Leaving the market to stimulate competition doesn’t work and you only have to look at the airline industry, what an unregulated mess that is. I just renewed my contract with Shaw for another two years. Same price, free Disney. Happy.

0 Kudos

I was surprised to read that Shaw mobile customers will m...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk I was surprised to read that Shaw mobile customers will move to Rogers and have the price frozen for 5 years. Those customers are getting a great deal and better service. 

The biggest benefit for me are the TV plans. I have wanted to move a couple of relatives over from Telus, but Total TV was too much. I am lucky that my plan is grandfathered, but I think I will save a few dollars by switching to one of the Rogers packages. 

0 Kudos

@That whole Shaw/Freedom Mobile arrangement was odd. Free...

rickatk
Master

@rstra @That whole Shaw/Freedom Mobile arrangement was odd. Freedom moving to Quebec and Shaw mobile moving to Rogers should clarify and streamline those businesses.

Going forward I think our choice will be clear as far as which technology to choose. Me I still prefer Docsis. We will see how Docis holds up over the next couple years.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help