What is Shaw's stance on upgrading/replacing Freerange TV once Flash is fully deprecated in 2020?

rels
Grasshopper

It is becoming more and more onerous to use flash with each passing iteration of browser updates as all browsers are now actively making it more painful to use Flash, and in 2020, Flash will be fully deprecated.  I haven't seen any indications from Shaw about a replacement for this.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

Re: What is Shaw's stance on upgrading/replacing Freerange TV once Flash is fully deprecated in 2020?

shaw-tony

Hey rels,

Thank you for reaching out! I haven't heard of any news about this. If there is a change, we will post more details on www.shaw.ca or our Community pages here.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Hello, its now 2019, soon to be 2020 which means Flashes...

Chiggz
Grasshopper

Hello, its now 2019, soon to be 2020 which means Flashes support via chrome(among other browsers/apps/programs will be no more effective start of December but yet Shaw has yet to even address what could be very large problem for alot of shaw users. Why migration to somethng else open source/web or otherwise, html 5 for 1, has not been started let alone tested afaik. Why Hasnt Shaw given us paying customers a very much needed Answer as to what and when this will not just be addressed but fully implemented as it could be a deal breaker for continued subscription to their services should this not be fixed thus they do away with it completely. Some answers would be nice sometime soon...ie next 30 days at least. Thanks, J.

December 2020 is still more than a full year away. We do...

shaw-valerie

@Chiggz December 2020 is still more than a full year away. We do not have any details to share on what technology changes will be occurring on the back-end with regards to this, but do not have plans for the Freerange TV service to be discontinued.

0 Kudos

Its now only 5 months away. It would be nice to have a le...

rels
Grasshopper

Its now only 5 months away. It would be nice to have a legitimate answer on this at this point.

0 Kudos

--  It would be nice to have a legitimate answer on this...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rels --  It would be nice to have a legitimate answer on this at this point.

What would you do, if you got an answer "today", versus an answer in a few months?  It's not like knowing today what the stock price of Shaw shares will be on December 31, and making an profitable investment decision (buy or short-sell) on that information.

What could you do with the answer? Reactively switching to a different ISP means that this "Shaw-only" feature will not be available to you.

Having an answer from Shaw "today", versus on Remembrance Day, won't make a difference in my life. I don't sweat the small stuff. 🙂

I have learned that "pi" is approximately 3.141592653, but my friend can recite it to 16 digits. That's more digits than available on any hand-calculator (or calculator app). The extra digits don't make a difference to me, unless I am doing rocket science, and calculating flight-paths to Mars. Then, I would code: PI := 4.0 * ARCTAN(1.0) rather than possibly mistyping the digits into my computer program.

0 Kudos

I'd like to know ASAP because my new PC is Surface Pro X...

petervinall
Grasshopper

I'd like to know ASAP because my new PC is Surface Pro X which does not support Flash at all.  Non-Intel PC's are proliferating now and seems they don't run flash... Be nice to see any kind of response from Shaw.

0 Kudos

-- I looked at one review of the Surface Pro X, and it ru...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@petervinall -- I looked at one review of the Surface Pro X, and it runs Windows 10, which has built-in Adobe Flash support.

That review did not mention anything at all about Flash, or the lack of support for it.

Hmm.

0 Kudos

Was the Hmm. for my benefit or yours?

petervinall
Grasshopper

Was the Hmm. for my benefit or yours?

0 Kudos

- Was the Hmm. for my benefit or yours? A little of "both...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@petervinall - Was the Hmm. for my benefit or yours?

A little of "both" -- for me (who is not an authorized spokesperson for Shaw) not being able to post a definitive answer, and for you (for not including a screen-capture with a message like "Flash not supported" in your post).

Try:  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about

to get details about Flash on your computer.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help