Jump to solution

Why does our recording stop after ~1 minute?

Help352
Grasshopper

For the past 2 weeks, our nightly recording of the same show has 1 of 2 issues. 1st) we get a error message saying “something went wrong and it cannot play”; 2nd) we start the recording, it plays for roughly 1 minute and then it kicks us out. It says it is still recording but each time we start the playback, it only plays for a minute. This is the blue curve system.
We have reduced the number of saved recording in case the memory was the issue. This did not help.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for your comments. We looked at other rec...

Help352
Grasshopper

Thanks everyone for your comments.

We looked at other recordings in the same time frame and they play back correctly. Strange that the problems are tied to a specific channel. We will contact Shaw to see what they say and if they can check the box. Maybe get a replacement if needed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jump to solution

-- it could be a "failing" disk-drive inside the BlueCurv...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Help352 -- it could be a "failing" disk-drive inside the BlueCurve. Do any of your recordings play properly? If not, I recommend that you contact Shaw Support, and convince them to ship (via Canada Post) to you a replacement BlueCurve. In the shipping-box should be a return-label. Put the "old" one into the box, stick the label onto the box, and take the box to Canada Post, for shipping back to Shaw. Be sure to keep the Tracking Number that you receive, should you ever need to prove to Shaw that you shipped the "old" one.

Also, try to record other shows, on other channels, to see if you can record anything "new", and successfully play them.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, we will record a different show and...

Help352
Grasshopper

@mdk

Thanks for the reply, we will record a different show and see we have the same issue. Shows recorded earlier than 2 weeks ago play correctly.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- rather than a "complete" failure of the disk-drive, yo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Help352 -- rather than a "complete" failure of the disk-drive, you might have a disk-drive with a "bad" area. Compare to a piece of paper with a greasy spot (melted butter?) on it. You can write on most of the paper, but not on that one area.

The BlueCurve should support an external disk-drive, connected to the "eSATA" port. New recordings will tend to be written onto the external disk-drive, instead of the internal disk-drive. Be sure to get a "DVR-compatible" disk-drive, because the BlueCurve can record multiple programs at the same time. Be sure to get an "eSATA" interface.  Adding this external disk-drive will allow you to watch your currently-recorded content. Swapping for a different BlueCurve will "lose" all your recorded programs.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

BlueCurve does not support an external drive.

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk @Help352 BlueCurve does not support an external drive. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> BlueCurve does not support an external drive. Correct....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> BlueCurve does not support an external drive.

Correct. When you connect an additional BlueCurve TV box, the recordings on each box become accessible from either box. You can have up to 3 boxes connected, giving you a total of 1500 GB of space for recordings.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That is partially correct, the XG1 v3 and v4 have interna...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk That is partially correct, the XG1 v3 and v4 have internal hard drives, the wireless Xi6 does not.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for your comments. We looked at other rec...

Help352
Grasshopper

Thanks everyone for your comments.

We looked at other recordings in the same time frame and they play back correctly. Strange that the problems are tied to a specific channel. We will contact Shaw to see what they say and if they can check the box. Maybe get a replacement if needed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Strange that the problems are tied to a specific chann...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Help352 -- Strange that the problems are tied to a specific channel. We will contact Shaw

What is the name of that channel?

Yes, because this is only a peer-to-peer discussion forum, I recommend that you make official contact with Shaw Support.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- indeed, not every box is identical. I have not been ab...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- indeed, not every box is identical.

I have not been able to get a clear picture when connecting my Kraft Dinner box to my PVR. Perhaps, using a larger Dominos Pizza box will give me a better picture. 🙂

TALK TO US
We're here to help