Worth changing from Gateway to BlueSky?

Not applicable

My Contract is expiring and am upgrading to 300 speed Internet plus BlueSky. Currently have 2 Cable boxes for One TV. A Gateway and a Motorola DCX 3400 (mine purchased). After reading the problems with the BlueSky (freezing etc) am beginning to doubt my changing. My current system has given years of NO problems.

Am also worried that my very expensive Harmony Elite will not operate BlueSky.

Can I get any advice?

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Worth changing from Gateway to BlueSky?

Not applicable

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I also had the option to switch to bluesky when I went with Internet 300, but decided to stick with my current set-up 3 TVs (2 x DCX3400; 1 x Gateway).

Other than the cool voice options, the only other advantage I see is the dedicated bandwidth for Netflix with Bluesky.

0 Kudos

rickatk
Master

My Contract is expiring and am upgrading to 300 speed Internet plus BlueSky. Currently have 2 Cable boxes for One TV. A Gateway and a Motorola DCX 3400 (mine purchased). After reading the problems with the BlueSky (freezing etc) am beginning to doubt my changing. My current system has given years of NO problems.

Am also worried that my very expensive Harmony Elite will not operate BlueSky.

Can I get any advice?

BlueSky is the platform of the future for Shaw. Their whole system, including maintenance and subscription, is being ported to the BlueSky platform. I have been using BlueSky for approximately 1 year now. There have been a few hiccups but the platform is stabilitizing. The functionality is great, lots of search features and the voice activated search is the way to go(same for Apple TV). The PVR does a good job and is nicely integrated into the BlueSky search capabilities.

Shaw has been adding apps such as Netflix, Crave TV and YouTube. I understand more are planned. As such I ported all those apps from Apple TV to BlueSky for uniformity. Now when I perform a voice activated search I can get three of four results displayed at once (VOD, Netflix,Crave TV, Live TV or PVR) depending on where the show is available. All of my movie viewing is done on BlueSky now. The BlueSky interface is fast and powerful. The picture and sound is very good especially the VOD and App shows. For me Apple TV has been relegated to the kitchen where a cable jack is not aviaible and BlueSky terminals are not wirelss - yet!

All I can say about Gateway is that the platform is pretty much obsolete and as these platforms go, will likely not benefit from Shaw’s attention much longer.

BlueSky is still in its infancy but is certainly mature enough for prime time. I have BlueSky and Internet 300, couldn’t be happier. Adding a few more apps such as Prime and Podcasts would be a real plus. There is a bug where Stingray on BlueSky doesn’t display album art, Shaw is working on the problem.

Sorry I don’t have a Harmony remote so I can’t help you with that question. In order to use the BlueSky navigation features and access settings you would need the Shaw remote regardless.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Thanks, I decided to stay with my two "old" PVrs and upgraded to Internet 300. My cost was reduced immensely. After reading your Review I am considering again on the TV section of the Contract. I hear that BlueSky does not have your subscribed Channels only? That would be a drag hunting through all Channels.

0 Kudos

rickatk
Master

insync44 wrote:

Thanks, I decided to stay with my two "old" PVrs and upgraded to Internet 300. My cost was reduced immensely. After reading your Review I am considering again on the TV section of the Contract. I hear that BlueSky does not have your subscribed Channels only? That would be a drag hunting through all Channels.

The work around is to select your favourite channels then use the filter. Selecting favorites will display just your selected channels.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I switched back to Shaw from Telus when we recently moved. Maybe there's been an upgrade because the Blueesky guide is very easy to set so that you only see your subscribed channels.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help