Xi One TV Player

rickatk
Master

I hooked up a new Xi One TV player a couple days ago. I was very impressed with the small size and design of the player which offers all the same services and the older Xi6 player. The remote is more stealthy as well. I ran into some problems getting the remote to pair with my older Samsung tv(no code) but interestingly the TV worked just fine with the remote except for audio control. The remote paired easily with my Bose Solo 15 speaker and volume worked just fine on that device which is what I wanted. That left me a little confused but I will just accept the successful connections. Seems I don't have to toggle between TV and speaker and player as in the old set up. Everything works well and responds to one on/off button. I don't have to get the TV, player and speaker to work in sync. They just work.

Picture quality and sound is very good as with the old tv Xi6 player. I had to re-register the new player and TV apps such as Prime and Disney. Netflix however is a problem. The Shaw tech tried everything on their end to connect to no avail. I contact Netflix and they feel there are some DNS setting problems which if beyond me. I will contact Shaw again and request tech support escalation for the Netflix problem. I cant see this being a programming over-site or difficult to fix.

Recently I installed a new TV player and XB8 Modem which required a few trips to tech support using live messenger. In each case connection time was quick and the techs were very helpful!

1 Reply

Further to my previous post I ran into some problems tryi...

rickatk
Master

Further to my previous post I ran into some problems trying to upgrade my other TV players to the newer sveltier XiOne player. I was handed back and forth between tech support and billing. Both departments advising they had no way to change out the other players as they couldn’t predict what I would get. Ugggh this was quite frustrating to say the least. I finally came upon a fellow in tech support Phong who was able to take back the XiOne player and let me reconnect the older XI6 player. He was also able to ship a remote for that player which is all I really wanted in the first place.

I have read about other negative experiences like this and conclude that sometimes the computer algorithms can make things very difficult for the agents, stripping away their ability to be flexible in their jobs. At any rate I am back on the older XI6 waiting for a new remote.

As an aside, the newer player is different not only in appearance but the interfaces are a little different. YouTube for example on the newer player shows live previews of each post and the app loads differently with different graphics.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help