Customer Retention ???

mac320
Grasshopper

A long time customer from the days when Shaw was in Ontario.   My 2 year agreement expired last month and Shaw has made no attempt to "convince" me to stay.  The offers website is confusing, questions regarding bundles and offers go unanswered.  Now pondering leaving for Telus.

14 Replies

-- ... Shaw has made no attempt to "convince" me to stay....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mac320 -- ... Shaw has made no attempt to "convince" me to stay. 

In my experience, Shaw called me 4+ months before my two-year Value Plan was to expire, to do an "early renewal", so I did. About 19 months later, they again called me for another "early renewal". They even gave me a $50 credit, when I indicated that the Shaw Internet rate would be $50 higher, over the 5 remaining months.

Now pondering leaving for Telus.

Telus probably will offer you their "new customer" rate. Create a GMail ID, and use that ID, instead of an "@telus.net" ID, to facilitate you switching back to Shaw/Rogers (maybe with "new customer" rates) after 2 years with Telus.

It is your money to spend frugally & wisely.  🙂

P.S. Note that "upload" speeds with Telus are much faster than with Shaw, at the same "price-point", if that appeals to you.

0 Kudos

Still nothing from Shaw.

mac320
Grasshopper

Still nothing from Shaw.  

0 Kudos

-- given that the takeover of Shaw by Rogers happened on...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mac320 -- given that the takeover of Shaw by Rogers happened on April 3, 2023, I think that you should contact Rogers, with a copy of a Shaw invoice, and 2 pieces of ID (one with photo) to sign-up for Rogers Internet.  Or, of course, if you contact Telus as a "new customer", you should get a promotional price.

0 Kudos

Shaw support has gone down hill big time. The support sim...

rbennett94
Grasshopper

Shaw support has gone down hill big time. The support simply sucks.

Time to consider moving to Telus or other providers. 

Too bad for you Shaw/Rogers

Telus in our neighbourhood doing door to door. already ha...

Bob138
Grasshopper

Telus in our neighbourhood doing door to door. already have put fiber into garage in spring.  offer is $138.00 for fiber internet, netflicks, prime and $250.00 gift certificate plus camera door and some other smaller things. hard to resist given Shaw has done nothing except try to leverage me into higher paid plans or offer upgrade to router (old copper line).

0 Kudos

that $138.00 offer includes Optik TV as well.

Bob138
Grasshopper

that $138.00 offer includes Optik TV as well.

0 Kudos

IMO: Even though Telus has fiber, Shaw still ranked (as o...

whomever
Grasshopper

IMO:

Even though Telus has fiber, Shaw still ranked (as of last test last week) highest speeds available.

Telus sold out their blocks of customers to Google; the king of stalkers.

Telus customers all paid for real email addresses and later, still pay for it, but customers were forced to use their transferred email account to a gMail account. Yes, I know about using your Telus email as ID but it is still run by Snidely Google. Any company that turns it's back on customers should be fined a billion $ that is evenly distributed to the abused group.

Of the three monopolies, Telus, Shaw and Rogers, Shaw is the best of the bottom of the barrel.

With Rogers rates, today's, is all about 5G. What will that mean to those that own their own modem? Too, what about those square boxes Shaw calls modem? I understand that with those boxes, one needs to buy or rent a few pods to act as pickups for the boxes limited range. It's take away the ranges and cut the distance, and rent out a fix.

The last 'box' (no-names back then, but same box today)  when getting very hot, smelled like it was in a smokers  house with an ash tray beside the Box's squealing fan. I put a Hitron back on and no stink, no squeal, but unfortunately, the Hitron can't keep my tea warm like the 'Box' did. And, I on't have to unplug the Hitron but due to safety, would unplug the box, it killed the fan squeal.

Too, the end of my contract comes up, you know, those contracts that Shaw advertised they didn't use. The agent tells me that my rate would increase from $90 M/O to $120.00 M/O. Nothing new added, no higher speeds, nothing extra; more $ just because they can no longer provide TV service here so I lose my package deal. I pay more for less. Such a deal!
Sales person told me I would have to start using the 'box'. I've been a customer victim of Shaw for about 30 years. This is nothing new. But it getting very old.

Good luck,

~w

wrote: With Rogers rates, today's, is all about 5G. What...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever wrote:

With Rogers rates, today's, is all about 5G. What will that mean to those that own their own modem?

Note that "5G" can be used by wireless devices. If your computers are connected via Ethernet cables, they are NOT using "5G".

In the past, when Shaw has "retired" a cable-modem that I owned, they replaced it, and waived the monthly "rental" fee, because they wanted to keep me as a monthly-paying customer.

Too, what about those square boxes Shaw calls modem? I understand that with those boxes, one needs to buy or rent a few pods to act as pickups for the boxes limited range. It's take away the ranges and cut the distance, and rent out a fix.

I disagree. Their latest cable-modems, the XB7 & XB8, have greater range of WiFi coverage than the previous (and very hot/noisy XB6). So, there is no "need" for range-extending pods in most homes or apartments or condominiums. If you live in a mansion, with a man-cave at one end, and a garage at the other end, then 1 or 2 pods will be helpful.

The last 'box' (no-names back then, but same box today) when getting very hot, smelled like it was in a smoker's house with an ash tray beside the Box's squealing fan. I put a Hitron back on and no stink, no squeal, but unfortunately, the Hitron can't keep my tea warm like the 'Box' did. And, I don't have to unplug the Hitron but due to safety, would unplug the box, it killed the fan squeal.

Yes, the XB6 cable-modem was infamous for its heat and fan-noise issues.

Too, the end of my contract comes up, you know, those contracts that Shaw advertised they didn't use. The agent tells me that my rate would increase from $90 M/O to $120.00 M/O.

Is that difference due to going from a two-year Value Plan contract to paying on a month-by-month no-contract basis?

Two years ago, $90 was a great price, and having a "price freeze" was a bonus.

Nothing new added, no higher speeds, nothing extra; more $

True. Two years ago, a $9 steak was a great price, as compared to $12+ today.

just because they can no longer provide TV service here so I lose my package deal.

What happened? Where do you live?

Some very-rural villages in BC have been using obsolete equipment that Shaw is terminating, while Shaw is offering Shaw Direct -- using a satellite-dish -- as an alternative.

I pay more for less. Such a deal!

Note that some food companies have been decreasing the size of their packages, leaving us to pay more for less.

Sales person told me I would have to start using the 'box'.

Is that a problem, to upgrade to newer technology?

P.S. TELUS is proactively pulling fiber-optic cable into most residential homes, as they try to eliminate their use of twisted-pair copper wires. One friend of mine had the fiber-optic cable run from the telephone-pole to a large loop around the exterior filler-pipe for their interior oil tank, for at least 2 years, before TELUS entered their home, replaced their modem and upgraded their land-line telephone service.  Shaw uses copper only at the "heart" of every coaxial cable.

0 Kudos

With Rogers rates, today's, is all about 5G.   I agree. R...

rstra
Grand Master

@whomever  With Rogers rates, today's, is all about 5G.  

I agree. Rogers and Telus are wasting time and money running  fiber to the home. Verizon offers 5G to the home, it won’t be long until Rogers, Bell, Telus offer it in Canada.

0 Kudos