Cell phone calling a landline - landline can barely hear cellphone caller

Omg
Grasshopper

Shaw installed a new modem last fall at my mom’s and ever since she can barely hear when I call from my cell phone (Telus) and my sister (Fido) calls.  She’s had two techs in and they both said everything looks fine however it clearly isn’t.  From what I’ve been reading on this forum could it possibly be the setup inside the modem?  Maybe the port is not setup?  Thanks for any suggestions as this is driving us all batty 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

does it happen on all cell phone calls only? How are land...

rstra
Grand Master

@Omg does it happen on all cell phone calls only? How are landline calls? 

0 Kudos

Yes it happens all cell phone calls.  Landline calls (eve...

Omg
Grasshopper

Yes it happens all cell phone calls.  Landline calls (even from Britain) are fine.  

0 Kudos

That is very strange, I can’t think of anything that woul...

rstra
Grand Master

@Omg  That is very strange, I can’t think of anything that would cause that problem, other than the fact the cell call quality is generally worse than landline.

0 Kudos

Thank you for putting some thought into for me.  I’m now...

Omg
Grasshopper

Thank you for putting some thought into for me.  I’m now wondering if it’s the DSL filter  but I’m just trying to think of every possibility at this point.  Thanks again

0 Kudos

Is it possible to plug the phone directly in to the modem...

rstra
Grand Master

@Omg Is it possible to plug the phone directly in to the modem, to bypass the house wiring (and rule it out)?

0 Kudos

I’ll have a look next time I’m there.  Thanks for that

Omg
Grasshopper

I’ll have a look next time I’m there.  Thanks for that

0 Kudos

wrote: Landline calls (even from Britain) are fine.  All...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Omg wrote: Landline calls (even from Britain) are fine. 

All incoming calls (land-line or VOIP or mobile-phone) are going through the same Shaw/Rogers box to your handset(s). That suggests what the technicians said, namely that their box is not at fault.

What manufacturer/model of mobile-phones are the callers using? What company is providing their cell-phone services (Bell? Rogers? Telus?).

Any volume-settings on the caller's cell-phone that are not maximized?

What is the voice-quality when your callers use their cell-phone to call your cell-phone (which does not go through the box) ?

0 Kudos

The cell phones are Bell Fido and Telus.  The landline st...

Omg
Grasshopper

The cell phones are Bell Fido and Telus.  The landline starts out with her hearing us fine however she can’t hear as the conversation goes on.  Sometimes it’s fine for a few minutes and other times she can’t  hear us right away. 

0 Kudos

-- Bell does not own Fido -- Rogers does. Telus owns Kood...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Omg -- Bell does not own Fido -- Rogers does. Telus owns Koodo.

It is possible that the "fading-out" is a problem with her equipment not hearing you as your call proceeds.

Is it possible that she is accidentally turning-down the speaker-volume ?

If you hang up, and re-dial her, is the quality any better?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help