Blue Curve Modem LAN port issue

acnovello
Grasshopper

I'll spare you the details of the last 8 support calls and me basically having to demand a tech come out after the 7th one... When I connect using WIFI, my speeds are 100% normal. When I connect plugging directly into the LAN port (yes I am positive I am in the LAN port and not in the VOIP port) SO WIFI is fast like it should be BUT wired connection using the LAN port in the back equals an unusable connection..

Labels (2)
11 Replies

-- wired connection using the LAN port in the back equals...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@acnovello -- wired connection using the LAN port in the back equals an unusable connection. I'll spare you the details ...

The details would have been helpful to avoid making recommendations for what you probably have already tried:

1. different Ethernet cable between the cable-modem and your laptop
  2. checking that the settings for the laptop's Ethernet adapter are correctly set (full-duplex, 10/100/1000 automatic speed detection)
  3. connecting a different computer to your cable-modem, via a different Ethernet cable, and testing its speed
  4. opening the Windows Task Manager and switching to its "Performance" tab, to ensure that the CPU and your Ethernet connections are "idle" BEFORE launching the Shaw Speed Test.
  5. check that you are using an Ethernet cable with "CAT 5e" or "CAT 6" labelled on the length of the cable -- a "CAT 5" cable will be limited to 100 Mbit/second.

I upgraded to BlueCurve 1Gb a couple weeks ago and up unt...

iChinadian
Grasshopper

I upgraded to BlueCurve 1Gb a couple weeks ago and up until Sunday night everything was fine then as of yesterday morning only getting about 2.8Mbps on my Windows 10 desktop while WiFi connections are fine. Three tech calls and numerous resets later it is determined the two LAN ports have problems. Technician coming Thursday morning.

I have same problem. It was good before. Not sure if it h...

F-G
Grasshopper

I have same problem. It was good before. Not sure if it have happened after I restored to the factory default and upgraded the firmware. The speed is only 0.1Mbps, hardly usable. The weird phenomenon is that if I connect the Ethernet port to a router WAN port, then connect the router’s LAN port to PC, I got 90Mbps. My router is D-Link DVA-G3810, old module. It may be faster if using a 1000M router. Suspecting the Blue Curve has bug. 

0 Kudos

I've been there with the exact same issue. I documented t...

Corbio
Grasshopper

I've been there with the exact same issue. I documented this here with a working solution. It is a long read, but it's not for everyone. That solution for me has still been working great since the discovery of it.

I did find another solution where my gigabit speeds wouldn't surpass 600Mbps in any speedtests. That fix is found here. This only applies if you are just experiencing the speed cap up to 600Mbps on a 1Gb plan.

Hopefully after the initial frustration wears off from the support calls you had, that you still feel like spending more of your time in hopes of resolving the issue with the solution above.

To sum it up quickly, do the following: Log in to your X...

Corbio
Grasshopper

To sum it up quickly, do the following:

1. Log in to your XB6 gateway GUI using 10.0.0.1 (unless you've changed this address)
  2. Go to Hardware > LAN
  3. Check the box for Port 2 Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network
  4. Save

The gateway is going to reboot afterwards (allow time for the LED to turn solid white before proceeding). Then connect to the LAN Ethernet Port 2 of the gateway and you should be seeing full speed again when wired in. As noted in the links above, some configurations will work with Port 2 and Port 1 at full speed while others will work with Port 2 at full speed only. In either scenarios, you must have the box in Step 3 checked!

What did technician find? Is it Blue Curve’s problem? By...

F-G
Grasshopper

What did technician find? Is it Blue Curve’s problem? By the way, I have same issue and my Modem is Technicolor CGM4140COM. What’s yours please? Thank you!

0 Kudos

Apparently, I do not sign in often enough and just saw th...

acnovello
Grasshopper

Apparently, I do not sign in often enough and just saw this comment now. I have responded to your questions below but also wanted to provide an update. After having the Tech come out and test everything from the mainline into the community, to my house, then to my equipment he decided to change out the modem/router with a brand new one. This seemed to solve the issue. Originally they sent me a refurbished one and that provided the same issues as the one it was meant to replace.

1. different Ethernet cable between the cable-modem and your laptop -
    1. Tried changing cable with various other ethernet cables with no change
  2. checking that the settings for the laptop's Ethernet adapter are correctly set (full-duplex, 10/100/1000 automatic speed detection) - 
    1. not an issue with the computer or drivers as this was eliminated due to multiple devices experiencing the same issues when connected via ethernet cable.
  3. connecting a different computer to your cable-modem, via a different Ethernet cable, and testing its speed -
    1. Completed and issue persists
  4. opening the Windows Task Manager and switching to its "Performance" tab, to ensure that the CPU and your Ethernet connections are "idle" BEFORE launching the Shaw Speed Test. -
    1. completed and confirmed but no change
  5. check that you are using an Ethernet cable with "CAT 5e" or "CAT 6" labelled on the length of the cable -- a "CAT 5" cable will be limited to 100 Mbit/second.
    1. Have only Cat5 cables but tried many with no change.
0 Kudos

-- Have only Cat5 cables, but tried many with no change....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@acnovello -- Have only Cat5 cables, but tried many with no change.

Long answer: to repeat: any "CAT 5" cable is limited to 100 Mbps.

While running the Shaw Speed Test, open the Windows Task Manager, and switch to the "Performance" tab.

Select the network adapter icon, and you'll see the instantaneous download speed during the Shaw Speed Test.

Short answer: purchase a "CAT 5e" cable, and use it, to get the speed you are paying for.

Sorry for the very, very late reply.   After about an hou...

iChinadian
Grasshopper

Sorry for the very, very late reply.

After about an hour the technician finally concluded the Fibre+ Gateway was faulty and replaced it. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help