Installing a VPN on the gen 3 router

Metisqueen2020
Grasshopper

I would love to install my NordVPN on the router, but it is my understanding that you cannot install the necessary firmware to the router in order to run the VPN.  I did however a couple years ago buy a router for that purpose but I'm scared to bridge the modem in case I mess it up(I've heard a number of stories of people doing that).  Is there a risk to bridging the modem in order to install the 3rd party router?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Bridging the modem is very common and there should be no...

rstra
Grand Master

@Metisqueen2020  Bridging the modem is very common and there should be no problem. Assuming you have the Ignite Gateway, the instructions are here:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-configure-bridge-mode-on-the-fibre-gateway/ta-p/...

0 Kudos

-- one does NOT "install NordVPN on the router". Instead...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Metisqueen2020 -- one does NOT "install NordVPN on the router".  Instead, the software must be installed on every computer/device that wishes to use a VPN.  So, there is no need to "bridge" the modem.

But, if you have a third-party router that can be configured with the VPN settings, then configure it, and all your computers/devices that connect to your router will automatically use the VPN for all the Internet traffic.  There is no need to "install" anything on any router -- simply "configure" it with the VPN settings.

Note that the Shaw router has an easy method to "factory reset" it.  So, if you do mess it up, just reset it. 

Finally, note that "bridging" the Shaw router may disable some of its WiFi-related features, i.e., ability to wirelessly connect to another Shaw TV-box in a different room where there is a secondary TV. Also, "bridging" disables the Shaw router's built-in WiFi to your WiFi-capable devices. Hopefully, your third-party router has its own WiFi capability, and that its WiFi is not the slower "Wireless G" or "Wireless N" communication protocols -- the Shaw WiFi is the faster "Wireless AC" or "Wireless AX" protocol.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help