Internet slow

maxbrandon
Grasshopper

Hello Shaw!

I have Shaw Fibre + 300 and these are the speeds I get currently:

89.11 mbps download and 2.55 mbps upload.

Can you guys do something about this? What am I paying the higher rates for?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where v...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@maxbrandon -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where volunteer contributors try to help.

It is not a direct path to Shaw Support (1-888-472-2222).

Anyway, check a few things:

1. that the network adapter in your device is 10/100/1000, not just 10/100. The latter adapter maxes-out at 100 Mbps;
  2. that the network cable (between your computer and the cable-modem) has labelling along its length that shows "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6", because a "CAT-5" cable maxes-out at 100 Mbps;
  3. that Shaw has "provisioned" (their word) your cable-modem to throttle your download speed to the 300 Mbps level, confirm by talking to a Shaw Agent;
  4. that your computer's processor has a speed over 2 Ghz. The Shaw SpeedTest needs at least that speed to run its test at full speed;
  5. if you do not use an Ethernet cable, i.e. have a wireless connection from your device to the cable-modem, check that the wireless adapter in your computer is capable of more than the download speed that you currently are getting. New notebook computers probably have a "WiFi 6" adapter, capable of over 1200 Mbps.  Not so, for older notebooks.

0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your help Grand Master...

maxbrandon
Grasshopper

Thanks so much for your help Grand Master... 

0 Kudos

-- tell us how it goes, and write again if you still have...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@maxbrandon -- tell us how it goes, and write again if you still have issues.

Or, contact Shaw Support (1-888-472-2222) and get them to trouble-shoot.  They can check the "signal-strength" reaching your cable-modem.

0 Kudos