Shaw Fibre+ Gateway 2 (XB7) User Guide

Kritiker
Grasshopper

Hi,

Can anyone please point me to a comprehensive Users’ Guide for the Shaw Fibre+ Gateway 2 (XB7), or any of its Technicolor/Arris/Panasonic/Comcast variants?

I am unable to find anything substantive online, just a couple of incomplete drafts.

Also Shaw residential support can’t or won’t answer my questions. I have been told to phone back and try to get someone from “higher level”, to post to this community and that my questions are too complex for residential support.

I was inquiring about things like second IP pass through, bridging, home automation (Zigbee), turning off responses to WAN-originating pings and whether Shaw’s IPv6 IP Addresses incorporate the XB7’s MAC address, apparently a security flaw if they do. Well, the latter is something I can check myself now.

I now am renting a unit that has some potentially interesting features, the XB7, but am having to bridge it for lack of enough information to use it more fully. At least bridging worked, surprisingly, as described. Maybe that’s the best that I can do.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Labels (1)
13 Replies

Try this: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/ho...

rickatk
Master

Try this: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-connect-your-shaw-equipment/ta-p/6476

Also, there is help on the Shaw Home app. 
When you set up your device use the Shaw Home app (Unbridged)there are help links.

0 Kudos

I saw that. I may un-bridge at some point and try out the...

Kritiker
Grasshopper

I saw that. I may un-bridge at some point and try out the app but I find it hard to believe that the app will let me do things that the XB7’s native configuration settings don’t. Does it? Thanks.

The BlueCurve app's  functions are limited. The native co...

RWP
Grasshopper

@Kritiker wrote:

I saw that. I may un-bridge at some point and try out the app but I find it hard to believe that the app will let me do things that the XB7’s native configuration settings don’t. Does it? Thanks.

The BlueCurve app's  functions are limited. The native configuration settings are better.   These XB6/XB7 Modems/Routers are meant for average users who have little if any technical knowledge or advanced requirements. Bridge mode along with your own router is the only way to go AFAIK. Get a router that supports OpenWRT ?

Note: the XB7 seems to setup a secondary wifi channel "ShawMobileHotspot", even when in bridge mode.  You can disable that.

Yes but that won't disable the 5 channels that are always...

Kritiker
Grasshopper

Yes but that won't disable the 5 channels that are always active, ostensibly for Blue Curve TV, whether one has Blue Curve TV or not.

And OpenWRT? Always. Merlin version.

I would really rather just have a decent modem than the "Gateway" XB7.

0 Kudos

I have this same problem, there's no info online and the...

user8
Grasshopper

I have this same problem, there's no info online and the Shaw technical staff don't understand the device either. I can't get it to negotiate faster than 1gbps on the 'red' ethernet port that is supposed to be up to 2.5gbs. I'm paying for 1.5G+ service from Shaw, but my router (which is able to use this port up to 2.5gbps) can't get speeds faster than 950mbps. The technical support staff were useless too, she went on a long explanation about 2ghz and 5ghz, not understanding that wifi wasn't the topic of the support call. She didn't understand the question at all. Also I had to explain many technical concepts to her... and she told me to put it into bridge mode and go into the Bluecurve app, I had to explain that that the Bluecurve app won't work when in Bridge mode which she insisted it would, so I had to try to humour her... it was the most frustrating experience and a waste of an hour. I'll have a chance of solving the issue if I had the technical manual for the gaetway.

0 Kudos

On the shaw.ca home page under Shaw legal & terms & condi...

shaw-daniel

@user8 On the shaw.ca home page under Shaw legal & terms & conditions, you can find the following description of the maximum speed of Fibre+ internet connection. " Connection speeds may vary based on modem equipment, client device capability, building wiring, internet traffic and environmental conditions. "Up to" speeds are based on optimal conditions. The maximum download speed for a single hardwired device connection is 940 Mbps. Additional wired or wireless device connections are required to reach maximum download speeds of up to 1Gbps or 1.5Gbps (i.e. 2 or 3 x devices concurrently running at 500 Mbps each).

0 Kudos

What does that mean in practical terms for ? How then doe...

Kritiker
Grasshopper

What does that mean in practical terms for @user8? How then does @user8 use the Shaw supplied gateway (XB7?) to achieve the 1.5 gb/s data rate to which @user8 has subscribed. 

I am curious too.

0 Kudos

He can't. In practical terms, the maximum download speed...

Breithar
Grasshopper

He can't. In practical terms, the maximum download speed for @user8 is a single device on both the 1GB and 1.5BG plan is 940 Mbps. What they give you is more bandwidth. So if you have 2 data hungry devices you can get something like 750 Mbps download speeds (or any combination that adds up to 1.5Gbps) on each device. They are mixing up bandwidth with speed, which is counterintuitive and not entirely above board. Bandwidth and speed are obviously not the same thing. If I can download at 500 Mbps on three devices, my speed is still 500 Mbps, not 1.5 Gbps... 

0 Kudos

-- I can't get it to negotiate faster than 1gbps on the '...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@user8 -- I can't get it to negotiate faster than 1gbps on the 'red' ethernet port that is supposed to be up to 2.5gbs. 

First, are you using a "CAT-6" Ethernet cable?  That cable supports more than 1 Gbps, while a "CAT-5E" cable maxes-out at 1 Gbps.

Second, what speeds does the network adapter inside your computer (connected to that Ethernet cable) support?

Most network adapters support 10 Mbps & 100 Mbps & 1000 Mbps.  Do you have a "high-end" adapter (costing about $200) that supports more than 1 Gbps?

Within the Windows "Device Manager", expand the "Network" section, to get details about the adapter & its capabilities.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help