Speed Test

wynford
Grasshopper

Why is Shaw's speed test so much faster on my cell (500 Mbps give or take) and yet on my wired laptop it's only on average 200 Mbps... https://shaw.speedtestcustom.com/result/9bd3dbf0-a2fa-11ed-b50b-69023863b70b

My laptop is a little faster wireless... https://shaw.speedtestcustom.com/result/2e9b3cd0-a2fb-11ed-abf9-31d172afb307

My internet is Fibre 500

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

-- to run the Shaw Speed Test, you need a fast CPU inside...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- to run the Shaw Speed Test, you need a fast CPU inside your laptop.

Any laptop with a 1.3 or 1.6 Ghz processor is not fast-enough to run the test at full speed.

Open the Windows "Task Manager" and switch to the "Performance" tag while running the test, to see if the CPU is 100% busy, and to see the "raw" speed of your Internet adapter.

Also, read the small print labeling on your network cable.  If you see "CAT-5", not "CAT-5e" nor "CAT-6", the cable is limiting you to a maximum of 100 Mbps. Replace it.

0 Kudos

That could explain the speed, I’m 71 and didn’t need a bi...

wynford
Grasshopper

That could explain the speed, I’m 71 and didn’t need a big fancy laptop, mine’s dual core 1.10 GHz. I could not find a label on my Ethernet cable.

Thanks for the explanation

0 Kudos

--  I could not find a label on my Ethernet cable. Look f...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford --  I could not find a label on my Ethernet cable.

Look for letters along the cable -- sometimes it is hard-to-see "black" letters along the "blue" cable.

But, in your case, the processor inside your laptop is much slower than the processor inside your mobile-phone.

0 Kudos

I see blue lettering along a beige cable... says a bunch...

wynford
Grasshopper

I see blue lettering along a beige cable... says a bunch of stuff and CAT EE...

But no worries, you've already explained it

0 Kudos

-- says a bunch of stuff and CAT EE... Close. One cable I...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- says a bunch of stuff and CAT EE...

Close. One cable I have says "CAT.5E" -- namely "five-E".

Can you use the camera on your smart-phone as a magnifying glass, to re-check your cable?

Any "5E" (five-E) cable is certified to 1000 Megabits per second -- faster than the speed that Shaw provides you, and thus not a "bottle-neck" when doing a Speed Test.

0 Kudos

My mistake... I just checked with a lit magnifying glass...

wynford
Grasshopper

My mistake... I just checked with a lit magnifying glass and it say CAT 5E

Finally broke down and bought a new laptop, my old one ha...

wynford
Grasshopper

Finally broke down and bought a new laptop, my old one had a 1.10 GHz processor and the new one has a 2.5 GHz processor and man the download speeds are incredible... I have internet 500 and getting on average 540 Mbps strictly wireless and I am no longer complaining about speed.. the processor makes a huge difference... I can download a windows ISO in about 3-4 minutes... woohoo

speed.jpg

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help