Third asus router replacement in just within a year. Experiencing intermittent disconnect. Xb6 issue

jericryannn
Grasshopper

Ever since I upgraded to 1gb internet and was given the bluecurve modem, I used a router and bridged it. An Asus 86u. It was fine for months then I would start getting intermittent disconnects every few mins for hours . The modem is fine as told by tech support when I only connected the modem to my computer. When I connect my pc directly through my modem instead of my asus router, the intermittent disconnecting would stop and work.

Once the router is connected to my modem and my pc is now connected through the router. These intermittent disconnects would come back after awhile and  get worse to the point I replaced the router, got the same model and after a few weeks, the intermittent disconnects every few seconds would happen again. A lot of ping loss using pingplotter.

I thought it was the router problem...so I bought and upgraded to an AX86u. and Now I am experience the SAME intermittent disconnects after a month. It was fine for a month or so.....

So what the is happening here?

Tried everything from hard resetting router and modem, cloning MAC address on the asus router website, setting DHCP query frequency to “normal mode” instead of aggressive mode, updating firmware, rolling back firmware, using Asusmerlin

Labels (2)
17 Replies

-- are the power-cords from both routers connected to the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jericryannn -- are the power-cords from both routers connected to the SAME power-bar, to eliminate any difference in "ground" voltage?

0 Kudos

The previous routers and my most recent one were/are conn...

jericryannn
Grasshopper

The previous routers and my most recent one were/are connected on the same power bar as the modem, yes 

0 Kudos

How do I fix this? I’m still experiencing this issue

jericryannn
Grasshopper

How do I fix this? I’m still experiencing this issue 

0 Kudos

So when this issue occurs, whenever I power reboot the mo...

jericryannn
Grasshopper

So when this issue occurs, whenever I power reboot the modem by unplugging and plugging it back in, the issue still persists as in I don’t have internet connection.

but whenever I power reboot the third party asus router, internet connection would be restored temporarily. Is there anything you can tell me by pinpointing the issue with this new information?

0 Kudos

It seems to be an issue with Asus, un-bridge the BlueCurv...

rstra
Grand Master

@jericryannn  It seems to be an issue with Asus, un-bridge the BlueCurve and see how that works out. 

0 Kudos

As stated in my op and title, this is my third Asus route...

jericryannn
Grasshopper

As stated in my op and title, this is my third Asus router within a year. Please read my original post as well 

0 Kudos

I did read it, your Asus routers are crapping out, seems...

rstra
Grand Master

@jericryannn  I did read it, your Asus routers are crapping out, seems like the problem is with Asus.

--  whenever I power reboot the modem by unplugging and p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jericryannn --  whenever I power reboot the modem by unplugging and plugging it back in, the issue still persists as in I don’t have internet connection.

Unplug the Shaw modem's power-cord.  Do not power-off the ASUS router.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable between the Shaw modem and your ASUS router.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable between your ASUS router and your computer.

Connect an Ethernet cable directly from your computer to the Shaw modem.

Power-on the Shaw modem, and let it completely reboot.

Does your computer now have an Internet connection?  If so, the Shaw modem is NOT the problem.

Of course, after the above "experment", power-off the modem, and restore the previous Ethernet connections.

Then, try a non-ASUS router.

0 Kudos

With three new and compatible, popular routers replaced,...

jericryannn
Grasshopper

With three new and compatible, popular routers replaced, this doesn't sound like a router problem. Seems like Shaw is the issue here 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help