Why Do Shaw IP Addresses Never Change?

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

IP addresses assigned by Shaw never change unless you physically go into your third party router and change its MAC address, reboot the router and reboot the Shaw gateway/modem. Only then do you get a new IP address. This has been happening for years and years now with Shaw. With Telus, you go into your network control panel on a Mac, click on your network interface (Wi-Fi or Ethernet),  choose "Advanced >> TCP/IP" and "Renew DHCP Lease". Takes all of 30 seconds, if that.

For those of you who may not be aware of this, it is a huge security risk. This is the age of privacy and security, we do all we possibly can to secure our computers nowadays. Your IP address is like a phone number that most of us would prefer not to give out to strangers. Why is Shaw living in the dark ages? Isn't this a little bit ridiculous?

From CNET:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/a-vpn-isnt-the-only-way-to-change-your-ip-address/

Is it legal to change your IP address?

"Yes, it's legal to change your IP address... People change their IP addresses routinely when facing direct attacks on their online security... or when they simply prefer to protect their privacy."

Why should I change my IP address?

"Routinely changing your external, or public IP address, can help you improve your overall security and browsing privacy."

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Hi  , I was just wondering what you have or do on your co...

g-idk
Master

Hi @appleMacTech , I was just wondering what you have or do on your computer that you need to be so locked down on.  I have never manually changed my ip nor do I use a vpn, I have antivirus/malware and windows firewall, I only visit https sights and never open attachments in emails that I haven't requested be sent to me.  I have never ever been hacked/ransomware etc.  since I have been using a computer.  I do my banking online with no issues what so ever.  I think I would be scared to use my computer if I had to worry every time I turned it on.   Don't get me wrong I commend you on your diligence but personally I think it is overkill.   

0 Kudos

There's absolutely nothing on our computers at all other...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

There's absolutely nothing on our computers at all other than the usual documents, email, photos and everything else that each and everyone of us has on our computers. We're talking about “privacy” here (which does translate to security).

The point you’re missing is that every time you visit a website with the same IP address, that website gets to know you. Right off the bat, you get targeted advertising everywhere you go. Do you see what I mean? You visit website “A” and search for t-shirts. The next thing you know, Google (who is more than likely partnered with website “A” — I mean, who isn’t partnered with the big "G") catches wind of the fact that you’re in the market for t-shirts. And it goes on and on and on from there. The ads, the marketing, the databases you get into whether you ask for an invitation or not.

If you've been using the same IP address for many years, I've got some bad news for you. Everybody on the Internet knows you. They know your interests, purchasing habits and lots more. This is why we change our IP address at least every 5 days. We’d change our IP address every single day but it’s such an incredible hassle to do with a Shaw connection.

This isn't a matter of worrying or being "scared" or being paranoid, it's pure 100% common sense. Think about it. Have you ever heard of the term "data mining"? Your IP address is your "calling card". It's like your phone number. Don't give your phone number out to people you don't know — they'll "mine" your data and put it to real good use. I've been a computer technician for 33 years and there's no way I'd surf the Internet with the same IP address for longer than 5 or 6 days.

0 Kudos

, hey more power to you. If that kind of stuff bothers yo...

g-idk
Master

@appleMacTech , hey more power to you. If that kind of stuff bothers you and by the way privacy is a little different from security, then by all means go at it.  And just so you know, I have a pvt. unlisted phone number which I do not receive spam calls, oops pardon me I did receive 1 I think last year.  And in windows 10 I have gone thru all the privacy settings and turned them on to not allow tracking for adverts/location etc. plus done the same in my browser with it also deleting all cookies and cache every time the browser is closed, oh and I also use an adblocker and don't auto save my passwords.  I do not get advertising following me around the internet except for the surfing I do during the browser being open for that period, when I re-open my browser all I get are generic ads again.  So no you really don't have news for me, and I don't need to change my ip every 5 days, lol.  But hey if after doing all the above things you are still worried about your privacy then by all means go the extra extra mile.  Have a great day.  

0 Kudos

--  IP addresses assigned by Shaw never change unless you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@appleMacTech --  IP addresses assigned by Shaw never change unless you physically go into your third party router and change its MAC address, reboot the router and reboot the Shaw gateway/modem.

This method works ONLY when the cable-modem is "bridged". Most Shaw customers do not "bridge" their modem. So, it always is the MAC-address of the WAN adapter in Shaw's router that is sent to Shaw's DHCP-server, and that DHCP-server returns the same-as-previous IP-address.

0 Kudos

Yes, that's exactly what I said — go into your third part...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

Yes, that's exactly what I said — go into your third party router and change its MAC address. Perhaps I should have used the word "bridged".

I disagree with "most Shaw customers do not bridge their modem". Almost ALL of my clients are in bridge mode and use a separate third party router because the security of a third party router (ie: Netgear Nighthawk) is WAY better than a Shaw gateway. Plus you have far more control over the parameters.

Lots of consultants/techs like myself prefer to set people up this way, not just individuals but home-based businesses as well.

0 Kudos

I still think you should change your IP address. Let me g...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

I still think you should change your IP address.

Let me guess... you have a Ring doorbell, a dashcam and RFID credit card holders, too 😀

0 Kudos

Hi  , no doorbell I live in an apt. have the old fashione...

g-idk
Master

Hi @appleMacTech , no doorbell I live in an apt. have the old fashioned knocker, don't drive, don't need a car in vancouver, and Yes I do have RFID credit card holder wallet, lol 😀.  I do appreciate the advice but I'm good.  And by the way I really have to agree with @mdk  statement about bridging, the majority of Shaw Home internet customers do not bridge their modems, why most of them wouldn't even know, that is why Shaw Home is designed to be internet for dummies, it is plug and play, take it out of the box and follow the basic instructions and that's it. Simple for the consumer and simple for support.  Most people do not have the tech savy neighbour or can pay someone knowledgeable to set up their internet package for them.  For people who have a home based business they shouldn't be using Shaw Home they should be using Shaw Buisness internet which allows you much more control and access, and is designed for Higher security.  Ok have a great night.    

-- Almost ALL of my clients are in bridge mode .. Even if...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@appleMacTech -- Almost ALL of my clients are in bridge mode ..

Even if you are a very-successful technician in your city, your clients may be much less than 1% of the number of Shaw Internet customers in all the towns/cities in your province, and those 99% of Shaw Internet customers use the "out-of-the-box" setup of the cable-modem. So, I am sticking with my statement.

I have my doubts that when you take a vacation, that Shaw Support will be able to understand your clients' "bridged" configuration. Due to their limited training, they may "unbridge" the modem, to return it to their "standard" configuration, to address your clients' issue.

Note that you have created a security-risk by exposing the MAC-address of your third-party router to the Internet, because the first 6 characters of the MAC-address identify the manufacturer of the router, which allows hackers to target any vulnerabilities in your third-party router.

Lots of consultants/techs like myself prefer to set people up this way ..

That sounds like "job-security" -- using a custom configuration that locks-in all their client's to those C/T's.  Nice, if you can get away with it.

Just yesterday, I helped (no charge) a friend replace their older, and failing, cable-modem by an XB7.  Knowing that she was using the "default" configuration made it much more simple for me to swap the hardware. There was no need to pay $50 to Shaw for a technician to do a site-visit. Since she is 80 years young, $50 would have been a lot of money for her to spend.

@mdk -- ...your clients may be much less than 1% of the n...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

mdk -- ...your clients may be much less than 1% of the number of Shaw Internet customers in all the towns/cities in your province...

Where are you pulling your statistics from? Out of a hat? Do you have the slightest clue of how computer-savvy and knowledgable people have become over the last 20 years? Netgear routers are one of the hottest selling computer products at London Drugs now. These "99% of Shaw Internet customers" you talk about -- they're the ones buying them!

You speak of vulnerabilities. What about the MAC address of a Shaw XB7 Gateway? Do you not think there are vulnerabilities in that gateway, too? Nothing like keeping the exact same MAC address for 10 years so that vulnerability can be exploited to its full potential. There are hundreds of router manufacturers out there. The trick is to pick a different manufacturer every 5 to 6 days. That way, nobody latches on to you for any length of time.

Your comments about "job security" and "Nice, if you can get away with it." Pure 100% **bleep**. 

You have 6143 posts to date. You live here. You help out 80 year olds for free (my Mom's 86 and she's a computer whiz). You're a real hero.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help