WIFI speed has slowed down dramatically

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Morning everyone:

I have been experiencing slow WIFI speeds with my Gig speed internet. When I connect to Ethernet, I get up speeds up to  900 MBPS and when I go to WIFI, it slows to 145MBPS. All of my WIFI connected devices experience the same throttling down in the past month. Last evening we had problems streaming Amazon Prime due to slow WIFI speeds. Something tells me that the Blue Curve modem is limiting the speeds for WIFI connected devices. It did NOT do this before. I spoke with Tech Support last night and she had no solution. Tech is coming out to House tomorrow to look at. This seems like a setting in the modem. I do NOT want limits on devices when on WIFI! Everything was working great before and now, it sucks. Is there some kind of setting in the new Blue Curve modem that does this limiting? Thanks

Labels (1)
47 Replies

The only limitation I am aware of is in the Blue Curve se...

rickatk
Master

@winterpeg wrote:

Morning everyone:

I have been experiencing slow WIFI speeds with my Gig speed internet. When I connect to Ethernet, I get up speeds up to  900 MBPS and when I go to WIFI, it slows to 145MBPS. All of my WIFI connected devices experience the same throttling down in the past month. Last evening we had problems streaming Amazon Prime due to slow WIFI speeds. Something tells me that the Blue Curve modem is limiting the speeds for WIFI connected devices. It did NOT do this before. I spoke with Tech Support last night and she had no solution. Tech is coming out to House tomorrow to look at. This seems like a setting in the modem. I do NOT want limits on devices when on WIFI! Everything was working great before and now, it sucks. Is there some kind of setting in the new Blue Curve modem that does this limiting? Thanks

The only limitation I am aware of is in the Blue Curve settings, the channel bandwith is set to 20,40,80. 160Hz(i think I have that right) is available. Shaw likes it that way for consistency and reliability. You can request to have that changed but I don't think that is your problem.

Definitely something with the router controlling the WiFi...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Definitely something with the router controlling the WiFi speed on both the 5G and 2.4G networks. I did speed tests on our 2 phones, 2 tablets and I get the same consistent speeds and they are about 25% less than they were last month. The speed are being "throttled" some how. I can not watch regular HD on my TV and I won't even try for a 4K game or movie(lol)! Never had this problem before BUT I need it fixed!

0 Kudos

There is no throttling going on, it is either a fault in...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg 

There is no throttling going on, it is either a fault in the router or some wifi interfence. If you are having trouble streaming, your speeds are likely a lot lower than what you stated here, 4K only needs 25Mb.

Hopefully the service tech can sort it out for you  

0 Kudos

I am sure it is the router. When I hook up my Ethernet co...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

I am sure it is the router. When I hook up my Ethernet connection on my Laptop, I get at least 900MBPS download. Before, on the 5G WIFI, I used to get about 600MBPS on my laptop which was great as I could also get 300MBPS on my phones and tablets. It seems there is NO 5G WIFI network anymore. The 2.4G and the 5G give the same reduced speeds. Tech is coming this afternoon. THanks for your responses.

0 Kudos

Do you mind updating us with what Tech will do or suggest...

Faustina
Grasshopper

Do you mind updating us with what Tech will do or suggest for your network? I started having exactly the same issues on Monday and chat support hasn't been very helpful so far.

0 Kudos

We're in the same boat. Since Tuesday our WIFI has plumme...

Rob-JaneM
Grasshopper

We're in the same boat. Since Tuesday our WIFI has plummeted to 6MBSP! What can we do to rectify this!!

An hour and a half later with Shaw chat support and they'...

Faustina
Grasshopper

An hour and a half later with Shaw chat support and they've decided to send a tech out to my home as well, will update if they manage to solve anything.

0 Kudos

OKay, update from yesterdays Tech visit. First, they gave...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

OKay, update from yesterdays Tech visit.

First, they gave me a NEW XB7 modem to replace the less than one year old XB7. Did it work? NO!

It performed good for the rest of the evening, but today, it is the same slow speeds that I got before!

Ethernet connection works great as before, BUT the WIFI on both 5G and 2.4G are less than 150 MBPS on the 5G on my Laptop and less than 100MBPS on the 2.4G.

There is something going on here that the TECHs are not aware of. 

Common Shaw, get your act together.

adding a little bit more information about the "visit" as...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

adding a little bit more information about the "visit" as well as the same outcome as before. So, with my high-end Surface Pro laptop, the maximum sped that I get with WIFI is 144MBPS on the 5G network. On the 2.4G network, I get about 70MBPS. Remember, this is on my Surface Pro which has the capability to handle Gig speed on WIFI!

Also, the Tech person said that he would be submitting the necessary paper work to have the "green" box that supplies cable to my house with new "fittings" and hopefully a new cable from the box to my house. This he thought would fix the "interference" that maybe causing the issue.

Next step for me is to contact customer service(there is no more loyalty department at Shaw) and see about getting a monthly credit on my bill to compensate for this "change" in service. I will keep everyone informed.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help