Jump to solution

Cannot Connect to Nationwide Network

LeoBroadhead
Grasshopper

Hello All,

I have no issues connecting to the Shaw Mobile Network inside city limits (Southern Alberta Region). However, when I enter the Nationwide zone, my phone cannot connect to calls, MMS, or cellular internet (Android Phone). This issue has only presented itself in the last few months, as I've had Shaw. (and my current phone) for over two years without a problem.

I have looked through numerous forum posts and troubleshooting guides and have not found an answer to my problem. As instructed, Data Roaming is turned on, the carrier is set to automatic, and there have been no alterations to proxies or other settings.

Would this have anything to do with capability issues between Android 12 and the network? Or is there some other fault occurring?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

My apologies! I had assumed you were a support agent, bas...

LeoBroadhead
Grasshopper

@mdk My apologies! I had assumed you were a support agent, based on your expertise. I appreciate your help and support in trying to remedy this situation!

I was directed by support to this page: How To: Troubleshoot your Shaw Mobile Internet Connection. I have run the required steps, but haven't been out yet to test the connection. I assume (based on my earlier comment of having to do something similar with my partner's phone) that this should fix the issue. But I will need to leave town first to confirm.

I was also told, with the Rogers merger, that we should be getting our Sim cards swapped soon so likely all this effort is a moot point. Regardless, I appreciate your help trying to troubleshoot the issue with me. Again, apologies!

Thanks a tonne,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Jump to solution

-- Carrier set on automatic ... If you disable that setti...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LeoBroadhead -- Carrier set on automatic ...

If you disable that setting, does it take a minute or two to "find" the Nationwide network?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi MDK, Thanks for the quick follow-up. Unfortunately, w...

LeoBroadhead
Grasshopper

Hi MDK,

Thanks for the quick follow-up. Unfortunately, when I disable automatic carrier (or "operator"), my phone is unable to detect the Nationwide network at all. I am able to view Shaw, Telus, Bell, and Rogers (after a couple of minutes or so, as you mentioned). I'm currently within the Shaw Mobile Network zone so I'm not sure if that affects Nationwide's range or discovery, but as I said before I was previously able to connect to Nationwide (both manually and automatically) so the network's disappearance is rather recent.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

- I am within line-of-sight of a well-populated cell-phon...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LeoBroadhead - I am within line-of-sight of a well-populated cell-phone tower, and turning off "automatic" soon (but not immediately) shows 3 "Nationwide" networks.

So, could it be just one cell-phone tower in your proximity that has stopped broadcasting the "Nationwide" network(s) ?  Can you physically move a few kilometers away, and try again? (Work? Home?)

Temporarily disable "WiFi", so that you do not connect to sites like ShawOpen when "testing".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Alright, I tested this over the weekend and the results m...

LeoBroadhead
Grasshopper

@mdk Alright, I tested this over the weekend and the results may complicate things further. I left the urban range of the Shaw Network and travelled into a rural Nationwide zone. As I entered the zone, the phone did detect the Nationwide operator and automatically swapped to that service. I was able to send and receive SMS and MMS messages, as well as calls, but I was unable to access mobile data (when others in my party were able to connect)—despite being connected to the Nationwide operator (see screenshots for confirmation). When I tried to manually swap bands, I received an error that I couldn't connect (to 3G/4G, in my case). 

operator-autoselect.jpgoperator-manualselect-error.jpgoperator-manualselect.jpg

My partner experienced a similar issue with Telus a few years back, able to send and receive messages and calls but was unable to connect to mobile data. We were able to troubleshoot the fix by manually editing the access point fields, which seemed to be incompatible with her Android OS at the time. Could there be a similar solution in this instance?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

- after you logon to the My Shaw Mobile Portal, do you se...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LeoBroadhead - after you logon to the My Shaw Mobile Portal, do you see:

Roaming data usage includes all high-speed data used outside of the Shaw and Nationwide networks. Please note that there may be up to a 24 hour delay on your roaming data usage.

How much "data" does your monthly Shaw Mobile plan give you, for usage when NOT connected to Shaw Mobile?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

My phone plan has not changed since I signed up with Shaw...

LeoBroadhead
Grasshopper

@mdk My phone plan has not changed since I signed up with Shaw a few years ago. In that plan, I have unlimited data (25GBs) through Shaw's Network, and 2GBs with Nationwide (of which I have used 0, obviously). I do see the "Roaming" section and the quoted text Additionally there is a cap of $100 (again, which I'm not at risk of nearing as I haven't used any roaming data).

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 4.15.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-06-05 at 4.10.32 PM.png

I can also see my "Unlimited Text" stats, which show that I have been able to send/receive SMS messages inside the Nationwide network.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Has there been any movement on this issue? I'm still unab...

LeoBroadhead
Grasshopper

@mdk Has there been any movement on this issue? I'm still unable to connect to Nationwide. This has been tested in multiple places now and still nothing.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  I'm still unable to connect to Nationwide.  On my iPh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LeoBroadhead --  I'm still unable to connect to Nationwide. 

On my iPhone, when I access "Network Selection", and turn off "Automatic", it takes just over 11 seconds to display:

* Shaw

* Nationwide

* Nationwide

* Nationwide

i.e., not an "instant" migration.

Also, if I select the first of the "Nationwide" choices, the top-line of my display shows "SOS only". Not good.

P.S. I have never been employed by Shaw, nor have I worked for Shaw. [There is a difference. 🙂 ]  So, all my comments are mine, alone.

Jump to solution

My apologies! I had assumed you were a support agent, bas...

LeoBroadhead
Grasshopper

@mdk My apologies! I had assumed you were a support agent, based on your expertise. I appreciate your help and support in trying to remedy this situation!

I was directed by support to this page: How To: Troubleshoot your Shaw Mobile Internet Connection. I have run the required steps, but haven't been out yet to test the connection. I assume (based on my earlier comment of having to do something similar with my partner's phone) that this should fix the issue. But I will need to leave town first to confirm.

I was also told, with the Rogers merger, that we should be getting our Sim cards swapped soon so likely all this effort is a moot point. Regardless, I appreciate your help trying to troubleshoot the issue with me. Again, apologies!

Thanks a tonne,

0 Kudos