Shaw / Rogers Merger Approved

rickatk
Master

https://globalnews.ca/news/8707803/rogers-shaw-takeover-crtc/

Interesting news. Seems the competition lines are being redrawn between Telcos and Cablecos. Here hoping for some exciting things down the road. 

18 Replies

I think this is good news for Shaw customers, Rogers has...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk 

I think this is good news for Shaw customers, Rogers has better TV plans. I think that Rogers will have to unload Freedom and wind up Shaw Mobile, but customers will likely have the ability to bundle Rogers Wireless.

Indeed: They maintain that in order to go where they want...

rickatk
Master

Indeed: They maintain that in order to go where they want to go they will need to combine. This will be the largest cable based operator. I never really even thought about cellular implications but the internet sound good.

I like to visit Comcast occasionally to see what kind of...

rickatk
Master

@rickatk wrote:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8707803/rogers-shaw-takeover-crtc/

Interesting news. Seems the competition lines are being redrawn between Telcos and Cablecos. Here hoping for some exciting things down the road. 

I like to visit Comcast occasionally to see what kind of goodies we can look forward to with the merger. I suspect after the merger is complete we might see additional services/apps including Disney, Apple TV plus and alike. I also notice Comcast and Rogers offer a streaming box with just apps for those who are so inclined. Seems to me Shaw was just to small and indebted to take on other features like more 4K content, and apps. Hopefully with the merger we can enjoy some of those added benefits. 

Shaw was just too slow to roll out new technology and thi...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk 

Shaw was just too slow to roll out new technology and this had more to do with the lack of TV competition in Western Canada. Telus launched IPTV and Shaw was suddenly faced with fierce TV completion and out-dated technology. Shaw finally and slowly launched BlueSky, but now they have limited plan options and still lag on technology (apps, streaming devices). 

I like Shaw, but I’m really looking forward to Rogers taking over. 

Indeed  Shaw has been lagging on the IPTV front. I do loo...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rickatk 

Shaw was just too slow to roll out new technology and this had more to do with the lack of TV competition in Western Canada. Telus launched IPTV and Shaw was suddenly faced with fierce TV completion and out-dated technology. Shaw finally and slowly launched BlueSky, but now they have limited plan options and still lag on technology (apps, streaming devices). 

I like Shaw, but I’m really looking forward to Rogers taking over. 

Indeed @rstra Shaw has been lagging on the IPTV front. I do look forward for to more options and capability with the Shaw/Rogers merger. The cable structure still holds much promise for good strong internet and IPTV.

Hi  and  , agree also can't wait for Rogers merger, but t...

g-idk
Master

Hi @rickatk and @rstra , agree also can't wait for Rogers merger, but the headline is a little misleading, the chickens are not quite hatched yet.  This is only the first of 3 gov't entities that need to rubber stamp this takeover, never mind what conditions they may place on Rogers also, if they give their blessing  Well at least that is one hurdle over with and Rogers is ok so far with the CRTC's conditions of takeover.  Fingers crossed the rest goes good.  .   

Yes other mergers and acquisitions have failed at the gov...

rickatk
Master

@g-idk wrote:

Hi @rickatk and @rstra , agree also can't wait for Rogers merger, but the headline is a little misleading, the chickens are not quite hatched yet.  This is only the first of 3 gov't entities that need to rubber stamp this takeover, never mind what conditions they may place on Rogers also, if they give their blessing  Well at least that is one hurdle over with and Rogers is ok so far with the CRTC's conditions of takeover.  Fingers crossed the rest goes good.  .   

Yes other mergers and acquisitions have failed at the government level. Mostly where other countries are in the merger mix. In this case they are Canadian companies. Arguably there isn’t enough room for another cableco to exist. Shaw is in debt and is by far a smaller operation. While there will be very little competition in the cable realm, there will continue to be competition between telcos and cablecos.

Here’s hoping.

A merger between Rogers and Shaw will be a disaster. Roge...

Novatone
Grasshopper

A merger between Rogers and Shaw will be a disaster. Rogers as a terrible, evil, badly run company that can't keep its service working. I will be looking for a different internet, television and cellphone company if the merger goes through. Its bad for Shaw customers and bad for competition and service reliability. There is no way it should be allowed.

0 Kudos

Certainly hard to argue in light of this massive shut don...

rickatk
Master

@Novatone wrote:

A merger between Rogers and Shaw will be a disaster. Rogers as a terrible, evil, badly run company that can't keep its service working. I will be looking for a different internet, television and cellphone company if the merger goes through. Its bad for Shaw customers and bad for competition and service reliability. There is no way it should be allowed.

Certainly hard to argue in light of this massive shut done. There is more and more information coming out about Rogers and customer dissatisfaction. 🤔

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help