Price increase/add on for Rental TV Boxes

Sith
Grasshopper

Hi there, I don't know if this is Rogers and Shaw wide or just Shaw wide but this has been posted on Reddit and I also saw this on my own bill now. The company is increasing the cost of tv boxes for accounts that have more than one box. They will only include the cost of one terminal per account, effective September 15, 2024.

I have 3 in total so am going to be charged extra for anything above the one. It appears it's $7.00 a month, per extra terminal. 

It's almost like the old fee they used to have for extra outlets.

Really sad that they are doing this and just gouging the customers for an additional cost, every month, under the guise of improving their networks, etc. Strange how this has happened after the "merger". Very annoying.

64 Replies

, thanks for the heads up on this.  I haven't received an...

g-idk
Master

@Sith , thanks for the heads up on this.  I haven't received any such notice yet and I checked myshaw without finding anything, but I won't receive my new bill until the 14th of this month so maybe it will be on there.  I have 2 boxes which currently they don't charge me anything for (rental of both included) so I'm assuming that I will now be charged $7.00 per month for the 2nd box, hmmm interesting.  Guess I'll have to wait and see for the notice.  

I commented on this in another post, but i think i got my...

rstra
Grand Master

@Sith @g-idk I commented on this in another post, but i think i got my numbers wrong. I have one box included and one rental for $5 a month (although my latest bill show $6). On my agreement it was $5, but on my bill it is $6. I pay in advance, so part of my bill is after Sept.15, maybe the dollar is a pro rated extra charge.  Anyway, I will have to wait until the next bill to see exactly what is going on. 

I will probably return the extra box and just use the Fire Stick, it has most of the functions as the box, except no voice or 4K, but it is on a rarely used TV.

"Upcoming change to your TV box rental fee(s): We hope you're enjoying your TV service. Currently, you have one TV box included as part of your package. While that box remains included, with the rising costs to deliver the latest technology, we'll begin charging an additional $7/month (plus taxes) for each additional box, starting on your first bill on or after September 15, 2024. Any existing discount will remain in effect until its end date. Please note, if you have box(es) included as part of your condo maintenance or property rental fees, they remain included. Any additional box(es) will increase by $7/month plus taxes. The rest of your Rogers TV service remains the same. If you have any questions or no longer wish to rent any of your additional box(es), please reach out to us as outlined in the Contact Us section of this bill."

, ok thanks for the clarification.  I  might end up retur...

g-idk
Master

@rstra , ok thanks for the clarification.  I  might end up returning the extra box in the end, The firestick idea is great also.  With my cutoff being on the 14th of every month I seem to be getting an extra months grace on all these ridiculous new changes/charges that have been and going to be introduced.  Will be keeping an eye on my invoices.  

0 Kudos

wrote: I have 3 in total so I am going to be charged extr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sith wrote: I have 3 in total so I am going to be charged extra for anything above the one.

Yes, that is what the notice says.

Probably, your signed contract with Shaw/Rogers includes just one box. 

Do you get enough "value" for the additional 2 boxes to justify the extra costs?

0 Kudos

Hi there, I had 3 terminals in total, all wired ones, 2 X...

Sith
Grasshopper

Hi there, I had 3 terminals in total, all wired ones, 2 Xid's and one 4k one. I ended up getting two 4k Firesticks which were on sale at Best Buy and had the 2 Xid's removed from the account.

Interesting thing is that all of my boxes are the ones that they don't even want back. So they decide to charge people for boxes they want to have junked. Regardless, total money grab on their part when they know that lots of people have more than one tv in the house. In my case, I had negotiated a good price for my recent 2 year plan back in August of 2023 and negotiated the 3 terminals at no charge.

Not happy with what they have done for sure, especially since all our services are through them. Tv, internet, home phone and 2 Rogers Mobile lines.

Yup, got caught with the same increases.  With four boxes...

DweebT
Grasshopper

Yup, got caught with the same increases.  With four boxes, and only one being free it adds up to an extra @$20 per month for the units that have been in place for a year.  QUITE THE CHEATING WAY TO BILL MORE FOR NO EXTRA SERVICES OR BETTER EQUIPMENT.   Sorry, just had to yell about that.  I will return two boxes as they are more of a backup on older tvs and do the Fire Stick trick on them instead. Already have lots of Amazon stuff, so it will fit in.  Kinda stupid to give money to an American firm, instead of sticking with Canada stuff. Oh well they lose.

Makes me wonder if Rogers is trying to free up some spare...

rstra
Grand Master

@DweebT  Makes me wonder if Rogers is trying to free up some spare boxes for the Gateway switchover, this is one way to do it and to help finance the equipment exchange.

0 Kudos

I just spoke with Shaw.  Sorry to say there is a loop hol...

WayneOudijn
Grasshopper

I just spoke with Shaw.  Sorry to say there is a loop hole in the contract, and you will get charged $7 per extra box, regardless of what you think you negotiated.  Scumbags!

I called Rogers/Shaw two weeks ago to cancel one of the b...

ie_donna
Grasshopper

I called Rogers/Shaw two weeks ago to cancel one of the boxes I have for an extra TV that is rarely used. I refuse to pay $7/month to Rogers for a box that Shaw installed years ago which was part of the cable package for a PVR and two extra boxes at no charge. Anyway, the rep asked for the serial number to cancel it and I asked how he wanted me to return it. He replied, "Oh, we don't want it back... just recycle it. IOW, they are now charging $7/month for a cable box that is worth absolutely nothing to them! This is just a blatant ripoff by Rogers. When the current cell phone package price is up for renewal, I will be cancelling my cable, internet and cell phone business with Rogers and moving to another company.