Back to wireless printing

wynford
Grasshopper

I still never got my HP Photosmart AIO D110a printer to printer wirelessly. Doing some searching, I have found that I have at least 3 different IP4 addresses... my printer shows a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address from a test page through the router... the bluecurve app show a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx address for the printer and doing a 'What's my IP address" search, I get a 24.xxx.xxx.xxx address... why so many IP4 addresses and could this be causing my problems. I have tried all 3 IP's and the HP Smart app still won't connect the printer. The printer is about 10 years old, could the age of it, also be the problem with the Gateway XB7 router. Like I said before, the printer worked perfectly before with the Hitron router.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies

The HP is getting an automatic private IP, which means it...

rstra
Grand Master

@wynford  The HP is getting an automatic private IP, which means it isn’t connecting to your router to get an IP. The printer should get a 10… address, the 24… is your external address. 

Your printer is likely unable to communicate wirelessly with the XB7, probably because it is using an old protocol (due to its age). You could try turning off band steering in the XB7 by logging in to 10.0.01 and re-naming your wireless networks, or disabling the 5GHZ wifi network.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-connect-2-4-ghz-devices-without-disabling-band-s...

0 Kudos

-- the printer worked perfectly before with the Hitron ro...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- the printer worked perfectly before with the Hitron router.

The printer was working with a "192.168.xxx.yyy" IP-address, as supplied by that router.

The new router supplies "10.0.0.zzz" IP-addresses to all connected devices.

Can you "factory reset" your printer, or at least rerun the "wireless setup" wizard on the printer, to configure the router to abandon that "192.168.xxx.yyy" IP-address, and to automatically request a new IP-address from your new router?

Also, see a HP Support article:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mobile-Printing-Cloud-Printing/Photosmart-D110-will-not-connect-to-WIF...

and follow the instructions.

0 Kudos

I see from another post that you already tried turning of...

rstra
Grand Master

@wynford  I see from another post that you already tried turning off band steering, so, nevermind.

0 Kudos

I have tried everything that rstra and mdk have mentioned...

wynford
Grasshopper

I have tried everything that rstra and mdk have mentioned including their links... and nothing worked... it looks like rstra is right, that my printer doesn't support newer technology because of it age... guess I can't ask for anything longer than 10 years

it was a good run...

0 Kudos

-- the Bluecurve app show a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx address for th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- the Bluecurve app show a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx address for the printer

That indicates that the printer has sent a DHCP-request to the cable-modem, and the DHCP-server inside the cable-modem sent a DHCP-reply to the printer.

Does the printer have the capability to print a "status report" page?  That page should list the WiFi values, including the IP-address and SSID that it is using.

Is the printer "manually" configured to a "192.168.xxx.yyy" IP-address, rather than "automatic" configuration?

it was a good run...

It might not be "game-over", just yet.

Can you physically move the printer to a friend's home (or your employer's office), where there still is the older HITRON cable-modem, and try to connect it?

0 Kudos

No one I know has a Hitron modem...

wynford
Grasshopper

No one I know has a Hitron modem... as you can see, everything passed, i'm gonna get a new printer eventually. Don't know why Shaw sent me this Gateway XB7 when everything worked fine with the Hitron including watching movies on Netflix and Tubi with Internet 300

status.jpg

0 Kudos

It could be the authentication type, the XB7 uses WPA2-PS...

rstra
Grand Master

@wynford  It could be the authentication type, the XB7 uses WPA2-PSK and your printer is set to WPA-PSK.

0 Kudos

Bluecurve gives me 2 options for security mode, which I a...

wynford
Grasshopper

Bluecurve gives me 2 options for security mode, which I assume is the same as authentication type, when i try to edit, Open and WPA2, I have tried both and no difference

0 Kudos

You would want to change the authentication on the printe...

rstra
Grand Master

@wynford You would want to change the authentication on the printer, see if it supports WPA2.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help