does it just not connect to the internet? As a test, if y...

shaw-tony

@robi does it just not connect to the internet? As a test, if you bridge the modem and connect the switch, do you get a connection?

0 Kudos

Bluecurve nightmare

harleyx
Grasshopper

I spent 4 hours today trying to get our internet to work with the BC modem. We have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 router, and the old Hitron modem worked great. The BC showed high speeds on tests (DL only) but pages were very slow to load, and I always got DNS errors. I spent 4 hours on phone and chat with Shaw (1 tech even ghosted me when we hit an issue), and no change. It would NOT work with the router at all.

When I finally had enough, I hooked up the old Hitron again, and BINGO...everything works perfectly again. No lags, no slow loading, no router issues, and no DNS errors. 

Perhaps Shaw would be well served to help people with these issues, rather than continually saying "everything looks fine on our end", and leaving us hanging. 

Tomorrow I return this 'fine piece of tech'. 

Which modem did you get? I hear the Technicolor is the on...

Ajc
Grasshopper

Which modem did you get? I hear the Technicolor is the one to get.

i am on the fence, i want to get the new equipment including the new 4k tv gateway and wireless players. However, bridging the modem ( i use a 3rd party mesh system ) will lose ability to use the wireless boxes and Bluecurve features which defeats the purpose of upgrading.

Would  like to have 2 ip’s. One for the Bluecurve system alone and one to my own wireless mesh router/network switches. And you would think we could use the Ethernet on the wireless instead of wireless to talk to the Bluecurve modem? Or can we?

0 Kudos

> Would  like to have 2 ip’s. One for the Bluecurve syste...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Would  like to have 2 ip’s. One for the Bluecurve system alone and one to my own wireless mesh router/network switches.

I don't think that you need a second IP-address.

The "uplink" port on the BlueCurve modem will receive one IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server.

That modem will provide multiple "private" (starting with '192.168') to each "client" device that connects (wired or wireless) to it.

From a command-line prompt on your Windows computer, enter: IPCONFIG /ALL

to see the IP-address of the DHCP-server (which is "inside" the BlueCurve modem) and the IP-address assigned to your computer.

It is recommended that you configure the DHCP-server "inside" your own router to hand-out IP-addresses to its own clients in a different range, e.g., "10.0.0.2 through 10.0.0.250", and also to set your own router's "gateway" IP-address to "10.0.0.1". Reboot your own router, and it will obtain a "192.168...." IP-address from the BlueCurve modem for its "uplink" port, and will hand-out "10.0..." IP-addresses to its clients (wired or wireless).  Then, any Internet request from any computer connected to your router will be routed to "10.0.0.1", and forwarded to the Shaw router, and then forwarded by the Shaw router to a "public" IP-address.

In this configuration, the BlueCurve will offer a wireless network, plus wireless connections to any Shaw "pods", and two "wired" ports: one to your router, and one, if you want, to a computer that will be "isolated" from all the devices (such as a printer?) connected to your router.

Compare to a house with an "in-law" suite.  Both units have a front door, accessible from the street through the gate (the BlueCurve device) in the fence at the property-line. The main suite has its own network (mom/pop/kids' computers) and the suite has one computer. The suite's computer cannot communicate with the family's computers, except by going outside, and then entering through that front gate, and then other front door, while the family's computers can "talk" to each other without leaving the inside of the main suite.

Interesting writeup.Thanks! I really only want the Bluecu...

Ajc
Grasshopper

Interesting writeup.Thanks!

I really only want the Bluecurve modem to run my wireless tv boxes. Every other wireless device, including all wired devices thru my switches, i want from my own router.

I really wish the remote boxes were like the previous gen and accepted coax! Wonder if the ethernet on the box would work instead of relying on wireless? Then i could bridge like my current Hiltron modem. I presume the ethernet it is not supported!

0 Kudos

I used a double-ethernet to a single cord.  I was able to...

MurrayBrown
Grasshopper

I used a double-ethernet to a single cord.  I was able to plug in two of my three ethernet wires into that and the single one by itself.  I can't believe that somebody would make a modem/router with only two input ports.  Grrrr ............

0 Kudos

A tech told me yesterday that bridging the shaw router wi...

Davidjh141
Grasshopper

A tech told me yesterday that bridging the shaw router will disable the wireless TV boxes even if they're hardwired with ethernet.

I was waiting for wired portals for about 6 weeks before finally giving up and upgrading to wireless. Now I'm stuck with wireless TV boxes which flicker and seem to intermittently lose signal in my basement, and I cant use my existing mesh network so my wifi coverage sucks.

This whole wireless TV box upgrade was terribly thought out by shaw and I'll be researching alternative service providers because of it.

BlueCurve wireless pods

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

I wonder if the "green" lamp indicates a 100 Mbit/second connection, while the "amber" lamp indicates a 1000 Mbit/second connection?

A previous thread on this forum, from "moderator shaw-valerie", reads:

0 Kudos

I cannot seem to successfully "edit" my post referencing...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

I cannot seem to successfully "edit" my post referencing "shaw-valerie".

What she wrote was that "BlueCurve pods are available to extend your WiFi range".

It's best to put the pod "halfway" between your BlueCurve device and your device with the poorest WiFi connection.

0 Kudos

1. what do you mean two IP's enabled? It appears to me th...

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony 

1. what do you mean two IP's enabled? It appears to me that there's no settings left in bridge mode? 

2. I thought that read that you lose one of the 2 ports when it's in Bridged Mode?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help