we can provide one extra IP to the modem free of charge....

shaw-tony

@johnnyfive55 we can provide one extra IP to the modem free of charge. This can only be enabled by contacting us. Once it is enabled and you bridge the BlueCurve modem, both ports are supplied an IP. This way you can essentially connect two 3rd party routers to the modem.

0 Kudos

well that's a small yet welcome consolation to the BC's d...

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony well that's a small yet welcome consolation to the BC's departure of a typical 4-port gateway. I'd assume it's also a perfect way to attach a VoIP, would I be correct or am I missing something? Thanks for your help! 🙂

0 Kudos

Hello again,  @ Further on this topic of a 2nd IP, could...

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

Hello again, @shaw-tony @ Further on this topic of a 2nd IP, could you help me understand what the "Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network Setting" is for; what to do with it and finally, would having a 2nd IP change anything?

(I tried inserting a screenshot but that isn't working for my oddly)

Cheers

0 Kudos

that maybe something down our roadmap but I haven't heard...

shaw-tony

@johnnyfive55 that maybe something down our roadmap but I haven't heard on the specifics at this time. Once more details are available, they will be shared on Shaw.ca or here. 

I personally haven't used that feature before nor do I see it available. Are you seeing that through the App or is it directly in the modem UI? You can paste in an external image hosting site such as Imgur.

0 Kudos

It's directly from the BlueCurve / Gateway / Hardware / L...

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony It's directly from the BlueCurve / Gateway / Hardware / LAN Ethernet. Hopefully this Screenshot shows up. (BTW, doesn't this editor's camera/picture icon work or is it just me? 🙂

Hope that helps understand what I'm talking about. I can't remember if that menu was around before I put it into "Bridge Mode" but I don't think so.

Anyways, would you be able to help me understand what it's for and how to you it? Hopefully, it's documented somewhere? 🙂  Also, I'd like to understand what the implications are obtaining a 2nd IP with regards to adding another router and/or VoIP.  Again, if it's documented somewhere, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

, unfortunately, that image isn't showing up for me. Imgu...

shaw-tony

@johnnyfive55, unfortunately, that image isn't showing up for me. Imgur will work if you can upload to there. Looks like the image and quote icons are intermittently working, can you try to see if it works in a different browser (with no extensions enabled)?

I looked around our sources and don't see that it is a supported feature. It is considered an advanced feature from the modem and shouldn't affect the secondary IP.

0 Kudos

@Just can't get a break with attaching my screenshot here...

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony @Just can't get a break with attaching my screenshot here.  Tried another browser in private mode, hence no extensions and no luck with the camera icon. imgur is a no go not having an existing account nor a cell to verify with.

I'll continue with signing up for a 2nd IP and figure out the purpose/function later.

THanks for your time & effort.

Simple question. Can I plug a switch into this thing and...

Rassilon
Grasshopper

Simple question. Can I plug a switch into this thing and get more Ethernet ports without a whole bunch of farting around.

0 Kudos

Yes. Connect the "uplink" port on your switch to the Shaw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Yes.

Connect the "uplink" port on your switch to the Shaw router. Then, after you connect a computer to a "LAN" port on your switch, the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) request (issued by your computer) for an IP-address should go "through" your switch, to reach the Shaw router, and the DHCP-server inside the Shaw router should answer the DHCP-request, and send an IP-address back through your switch to your computer.

From a command-line prompt on your computer, use the command: IPCONFIG /RENEW

to get an IP-address, and/or the command IPCONFIG /ALL

to view the IP-address given to your computer, and the IP-address of the DHCP-server "inside" the Shaw router.

So the quick answer is. if you have a switch you only nee...

Rassilon
Grasshopper

So the quick answer is. if you have a switch you only need to use one Ethernet port . forget the other one. just plug everything into your switch then the switch into the router. Job done. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help