Re: Blue Curve GateWay (Arris XB6) Non Stop Problems

rickatk
Master

ruthless wrote:

The Arris xb6 never had issues with hardwired devices and always got 600 mbps. It was the wifi connection that was slow, unreliable and problematic with streaming. 

I have no disagreement there. I have made the same conclusion...the wifi performance has been variable on the older Arris router. In some cases much poorer. There have been other posts however where people have been complaining about PUMA test results and buffer bloat and such. I don’t know much about that. I ran the  Puma tests last year and reported on this forum seeing very little problems. 

At any rate the Technicolour router is reported to have a better chip set and it appears you, like me, are getting the same good results with that model. 

All good to know.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

There is definitely a problem with the Arris Xb chipset. My Arris xb use to heat up to a point where I would worry about it being a heater style fire risk. The Arris Puma chipset appears to struggle under load and the wifi basically crashes. The Technicolor version runs warm and doesn’t slow down underload no matter how many devices are running. I’ve also noticed slightly better range of the 5g on the Technicolor xb6.

rickatk
Master

Fortunately I didn’t encounter any over heating problems. The techs that came to my house agreed the Technicolor had the better chipset and was getting pretty good reviews. Replacing the Arris router was part of the pod troubleshooting steps taken on my setup. 

Good to know now you have had good results with the change in routers. All indications are I am seeing the same good results.

Not applicable

The Technicolor is basically Cisco technology. Technicolor bought Cisco’s cable modem business last year. My network recognizes the Technicolor as Cisco....

Not applicable

I like the XB6.

rickatk
Master

Speedtest resultsIMac Screen Capture

Seems the Technicolour router is settling in nicely. I have been getting consistently good speed results. These screen captures were taken on my iPad and iMac respectively. These results are consistent or better than my AirPort Extreme router. Fair to say, I am quite happy with the results and the switch to the Shaw BlueCurve Gateway  (Technicolour). 

rickatk
Master

1.1 Gbps... Are you plugged into the back of Shaw HQ?

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Actually, the Shaw office for the city I live in is right down the street from me.

That day was actually a slow day.

Not applicable

I had terrible speeds also with my XB6. I averaged 150Mbit on 600 ever since they doubled the speeds. They finally sent a tech, and I had them swap it out for the Technicolor version.

Now I pull 600+ constantly. I also had overheating issues with the Arris version before.

Anyone with the original Arris version that's having wifi speed (or any other issues), get it swapped out for the Technicolor version.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Case in point. This is 5G WiFi ON MY PHONE.

TALK TO US
We're here to help