Jump to solution

You need a second public ip, contact Shaw and they will a...

rstra
Grand Master

@edi7 You need a second public ip, contact Shaw and they will add it to your account.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- it is the cable-modem that counts the number of Shaw I...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@edi7 -- it is the cable-modem that counts the number of Shaw IP-addresses going through it.

By default, only one IP-address is allowed.

For free, Shaw will add a second IP-address to your count, and update your cable-modem to allow two IP-addresses.

[For a monthly fee, Shaw will add a third IP-address to your account.]

After Shaw has enabled the second IP-address, if you then connect a third device (router, iMac, PS5, computer) to the cable-modem, and that device asks for an IP-address, the cable-modem blocks the request.

A power-off/power-on reset of the cable-modem resets the internal counter to "zero". The first two of your devices to then make a DHCP-request will receive a "public" IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server (not the DHCP-server inside the cable-modem, because you have "bridged" the cable-modem).

So, in summary, every time that you change your connected devices, you need to reset the (bridged) cable-modem.

Of course, for a non-bridged cable-modem, the DHCP-server inside the cable-modem can provide 100 or more "private" IP-addresses to your devices.

Jump to solution

-- > Hey Tony Tony has "left the building" -- other Shaw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@edi7 --

> Hey Tony

Tony has "left the building" -- other Shaw employees are the moderators for this forum.  Tony is still employed by Shaw.

> I have a feeling this has something to do with an IP address conflict.

No. By default, only one "public" IP-address can go "through" the "bridged" cable-modem, to one device. If you disconnect that device, and connect some other device, you must power-off/power-on the cable-modem.

If you ask Shaw for a second "public" IP-address to be added to your account, then two of your devices connected to the cable-modem will receive "public" IP-addresses, as assigned by Shaw's DHCP-server.  Again, disconnecting one device, and connecting a new device requires you to power-off/power-on to reset the modem.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply mdk. So even when I ask Shaw for...

edi7
Grasshopper

Thank you for the reply mdk.

So even when I ask Shaw for a secondary public IP-address, which will then be connected to my ethernet switch. I will still need to constantly restart my modem if I want to change devices?

So my PC/iMac/PS5 can't share the same IP via the ethernet switch? Apologies for all the questions!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  when I ask Shaw for a second public IP-address, which...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@edi7 --  when I ask Shaw for a second public IP-address, which will then be connected to my ethernet switch.

No. An Ethernet "switch" does not ask for any IP-address. Compare to a "greeter" at a restaurant. They direct you to an empty table. They just "switch" you from standing at the entrance to sitting at a table. They do not take your food/drink orders.

> I will still need to constantly restart my modem if I want to change devices?

Yes. If Shaw has given you two IP-addresses, each IP-address has a TTL ("Time To Live") value. Compare to renting a hotel room -- the room is yours for one night. Either you extend your reservation, or they ask you to check-out the next morning. If you disconnect a device from your cable-modem, it can be reconnected, before the TTL "expires". If you connect another device, you will exceed the number of concurrent IP-addresses that your account allows. Restarting the modem clears the "counter" of concurrent IP-addresses, allowing the "new" device to obtain an IP-address.

> So my PC/iMac/PS5 can't share the same IP via the ethernet switch?

No. When your device sends a DHCP-request, it sends the unique MAC-address of the network adapter to the DHCP-server. The DHCP-server uses that MAC-address as a "key" to grant you an IP-address that is not in use by any other MAC-address. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- your best solution is to "unbridge" the cable-modem. T...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@edi7 -- your best solution is to "unbridge" the cable-modem.

Then, connect your switch to one of the two LAN ports on the cable-modem.

Then, connect your TP-Link "WiFi-mesh" device to the other LAN port.

Every device connected via Ethernet to the switch will send a DHCP-request to the DHCP-server inside the cable-modem (not sending to Shaw's DHCP-server), and will get a unique IP-address.

Every device connected via WiFi to the TP-Link will send a DHCP-request to the DHCP-server inside the TP-Link, and will get a unique IP-address.

In this configuration, there is no need for Shaw to provide you with a second IP-address.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Apologies upfront as I am posting my issue in your chain...

Dvanita
Grasshopper

Apologies upfront as I am posting my issue in your chain but I thought you may be able to guide me here.

For some strange reason my office/company provided laptop is not able to connect to the Shaw modem anymore. It was working fine until a day back. I am suspecting issue with the IP4 address that I see in the Modem which appears to be changed. It shows in the format as 10.0.0.30 whereas earlier it was in the format 192.168.xx.xx

Was with the Shaw support desk for long and all they kept saying it is my issue as my other devices are connecting to the modem and i am able to use those devices to connect to the internet.

I need help in determining if it is really an issue on my side or my company issued laptop OR is it an issue whcih Shaw can fix?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

If you can still surf the internet on your personal compu...

shaw-daniel

@Dvanita If you can still surf the internet on your personal computers, it's very likely that your company laptop has an updated firewall/VPN program that is blocking access from your Shaw modem. Please reach out to your company's tech support team to work out a solution together.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I see in the Modem which appears to be changed. It sho...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Dvanita -- I see in the Modem which appears to be changed. It shows in the format as 10.0.0.30 whereas earlier it was in the format 192.168.xx.xx

The older cable-modems handed-out "private" IP-addresses starting with "192.168".

The BlueCurve cable-modems hand-out "private" IP-addresses starting with "10.0.".

So, the "IT Gal" at your office/company upgraded from an older cable-modem (maximum download speed of 300 Mbps) to the newer one (capable of over 1000 Mbps). 

they kept saying it is my issue 

I agree with them. Access the network settings on your computer, to ensure that it is using "DHCP", and not a "hard-wired" IP-address.

Then, power-off your computer, and then restart it, to see what IP-address that some DHCP-server has given to your computer, and to see if you now have Internet access.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue described above. My Asus route...

Msafiricool
Grasshopper

I am having the same issue described above. My Asus router will not get a WAN IP address

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help