Jump to solution

I've noticed the same problem in the last few weeks with...

Gunderstruck
Grasshopper

I've noticed the same problem in the last few weeks with my Technicolor XB6 modem. Both my PC's take 20-30 seconds to connect to Ethernet after both booting up and waking from sleep. Have tried numerous troubleshooting steps to no avail. Definitely seems like a bad firmware update to the XB6

Jump to solution

-- from a command-line prompt on a Windows computer: ent...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Gunderstruck -- from a command-line prompt on a Windows computer:

1. enter IPCONFIG /RELEASE and press ENTER.
  2. enter TIME and press ENTER, and press ENTER.
  3. as quickly as possible, enter IPCONFIG /RENEW and press ENTER.
  4. as quickly as possible, enter TIME and press ENTER, and press ENTER.

What is the difference in "time" (seconds) between #2 and #4 ?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Appreciate the update on this as that adds some needed vi...

Chvycvlr
Grasshopper

@robplenert 

Appreciate the update on this as that adds some needed visibility on the issue and hopefully prompt someone in the know to take action on this.  Its definitely annoying having to wait over 30 seconds at a time for my wired pc to get a connection everytime it wakes from sleep.   

Jump to solution

New XB6 with Older Firmware I just received my new Blue C...

Gtown122
Grasshopper

New XB6 with Older Firmware

I just received my new Blue Curve Technicolor XB6 this week and set it up. I am not having the issue so far but noticed that my firmware looks older than the one you have listed:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_18.3_d31 & Prod_18.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.2p15s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:1.5

Hopefully I won't get pushed the new firmware anytime soon. I am hardwiring a number of devices in my house to maximize speed. If it really is the new firmware that is causing the problem, maybe they can patch or rollback the firmware to solve the issue for ethernet connections. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Try a Static IP for Ethernet/Lan Connection I wonder if c...

Gtown122
Grasshopper

Try a Static IP for Ethernet/Lan Connection

I wonder if creating a static IP for your laptop or other wired connections and reserving that IP in the router settings on the XB6 will help reduce the lag time. If it is related to DHCP reservations and lease time issues and that is the potential bug in the firmware, maybe that might be a work around. Just make sure you assign the IP in the same subnet of the router addresses that the router assigns. You can see the range in the DHCP section of the XB6 router settings, usually its like 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.253.

Also, make sure you change the settings in the LAN card properties and not the wifi properties as it sounds like it is on the ethernet side, not wifi.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- It is definitely annoying having to wait over 30 secon...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Chvycvlr -- It is definitely annoying having to wait over 30 seconds

Yes.

If the computer is sleeping, then disconnect its Ethernet cable, and then wake it. How many seconds does that take, until the computer is 100% "awake"?  Open the Windows Task Manager, as soon as you can, and switch to the "Performance" tab. It may take some time for the "CPU" graph to taper-off to about 5% busy, for the disk-drive activity to also taper-off. When both graphs are "near-zero", your computer is 100% awake.

Then, reconnect the Ethernet cable -- how long does it take Windows to recognize that the Ethernet connection is available (should be under 1 second), and for it to send a DHCP-request (should be under 1 second), and for it to receive and process the DHCP-response?  Watch the disk-drive lamp on the front of your computer's case for "blinking" (a sign of activity), and watch the lamp beside where the Ethernet cable connects to the socket on your computer, and watch the lamp on the router (the other end of the Ethernet cable), to see if the DHCP-related traffic is active.

Jump to solution

Same problem with ethernet delay , windows 10 pc cannot o...

choochoo
Grasshopper

Same problem with ethernet delay , windows 10 pc cannot obtain IP address for 20-30secs.

Problem started for me 3rd week Dec'20 after internet page content unable to write page with pictures etc. and many sites unavailable like MSN , Yahoo, Environment-Canada etc. non-existing . After pwr reboots etc. only fix was for the XB6 modem to be reset via Shaw Gateway remote reset . Then that's when I noticed the connection delay from a "sleep" restart. My normal  ethernet connection was basicly instantaneous . Same problem repeats with an old laptop too just to rule out network card problem . 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

XB6 Firmware Update Causing Ethernet Delay Problem After...

Gtown122
Grasshopper

XB6 Firmware Update Causing Ethernet Delay Problem

After hoping my new XB6 would not get the firmware update, it did last night. Now experiencing the ethernet delay when booting up or coming out of sleep. I tried reserving the IP but unfortunately that did not solve the problem. So it appears that it is totally related to the firmware update and we can now only hope a new one is on the way soon if enough people complain.

But I think I have inadvertently discovered a work around, not ideal, but it definitely seems to be working. I needed to attach a small 4-port gig ethernet switch to expand my ports for other wired devices. I discovered that if the computer is plugged in to the powered ethernet switch, there is no lag when rebooting or coming out of sleep mode. It only lags when directly connected to the XB6 port. I will keep an eye out, but so far that appears to solve the lag problem. A hassle if you don't have a switch, but if the problem is not fixed soon, it may be a cheap and dirty solution for the lag issue.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I had this EXACT same thing happen to me today. XB6 in my...

Ackbar77
Grasshopper

I had this EXACT same thing happen to me today.

XB6 in my office - 1 output directly to my desktop, 2nd output to a switch which connects the rest of the house. The only one affected was my desktop which is connected directly into it. I noticed if there was no activity on the computer for an extended period of time, OR tried to reboot, I got the "disconnected" global icon, and it took a good 30-60 seconds to get back on. No other computers in the house (which were connected to the switch) had the issue, only my desktop which was directly connected.

I too almost did the exact same thing, counter-productive, but essentially loops my ethernet back to my computer via another jack in my office..

I sure hope it gets fixed soon...

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I noticed if there was no activity on the computer for...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ackbar77 -- I noticed if there was no activity on the computer for an extended period of time, OR tried to reboot, I got the "disconnected" global icon.

Open the Windows "Device Manager", and select your network adapter.

Remove any check-mark beside "allow Windows to turn off this device, to conserve power".

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help