Jump to solution

Disable hidden SSID broadcasts

till
Grasshopper

Hello!

My XB6 seems to be broadcasting hidden SSIDs.

I've turned off both WiFi channels in the admin interface and the broadcasted BSSIDs don't exactly match, so it must be some kind of hidden server from Shaw?

How can I stop it from doing that?

Thanks!

**Moderator removed images, private details**

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Disable hidden SSID broadcasts

shaw-tony

d9amic and  I understand your concerns. To give some more context, the hidden networks are there so they can connect to the BlueSky TV 4K wireless boxes. So they will be active regardless of the modem is in bridged/unbridged mode.

View solution in original post

59 Replies
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

Hey tillkruss,

Thank you for reaching out! Just so you are aware of how this works your modem will set up a secondary WiFi connection but it will not have any effect on any of your services. You can certainly shut this off through the my.shaw.ca website. You can find a lot more information on that here, as well as the steps to removing it.  Take a look over that and let me know if you have any other questions! 

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

till
Grasshopper

I checked for that of course, but I don't see that option in my account. I attached a screenshot as a reference.

I also talked with a support agent who said my XB6 doesn't have an option to disable it. Is that correct?

Sheena 6766: Ok till I have found that the modem you have, Xb6 does not have this option available yet - which is why you are unable to find it

Jump to solution

shaw-tony

tillkruss ah yes, it is not yet available to be disabled. However, if you are not using the WiFi on the modem. I'd recommend bridging the modem so it disables all WiFi networks. I have the steps available here.

Jump to solution

d9amic
Grasshopper

I have the XB6 in bridge mode, yet it continues to broadcast a wifi signal with hidden SSID. Not only that, there is another broadcast with the SSID "OutOfService" emanating from this device, which is supposed to have its wifi functions disabled! What is going on?

Jump to solution

Not applicable

Why was this marked as answered when it wasn't?

Jump to solution

Not applicable

I have the same issue as d9amic &  tillkruss - I have my XB6 in bridge mode and would like to disable the hidden WiFi AP's.

I also had the issue where it dropped out of bridge mode and was advertising "outofservice" after a few weeks in "bridge mode" and I had to factory reset the XB6 and reapply bridge mode. Was there an automatic firmware update applied between Mar 2019-Apr 2019 that could have caused it to drop out of bridge mode? 

Jump to solution

shaw-tony

d9amic and yokiebear, the modem shouldn't have dropped out of the bridge mode. There have been no recent firmware updates during that point in time. The hidden networks should not interfere or cause issues with your home set up. If you are noticing the modem drop out of bridge mode again, it may be a faulty modem and I would recommend swapping that out at your local Shaw retailer. Keep me posted.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

d9amic
Grasshopper

shaw-tony wrote:

The hidden networks should not interfere or cause issues with your home set up.

IMO, a router that has had its WiFi turned off by the user should not still be broadcasting WiFi in the background! Unsettling to say the least... I ended up exchanging my XB6 for the Hitron.

Jump to solution

Not applicable

Hi Shaw-Tony. Thank you for your reply.

I have only noticed it dropping out of bridge mode once, maybe twice but I will keep a closer eye on it now.

As for the "hidden networks" the point is that by leaving it enabled in bridge mode and not manageable it increases the surface area of attack should anyone want to play with my network. Why leave them up if they are not usable?

A little off topic but the admin password complexity of the XB6 is lacking in that it only accepts Char and Num but no special characters. Weak security implementation please ask Technicolor CH USA for a fix.

TALK TO US
We're here to help